XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. maffle

maffle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Back to topic:

I have the issue of sometimes stuck at Dell logo at boot, it is not frozen though, because I can press shift lock and the leds are working. If I press the power button, go to STR S3 sleep, turn on again, it starts at Dell logo again and get unstuck. Anyone else having this issue?

What about the disk encryption, should you disable it? Does that give you a bit more performance?

I also have lots of Intel Audio Service (IntelAudioService.exe APPCRASH) and Waves MaxxAudio Pro (WavesSvc64.exe APPCRASH) crashes in logs, others here have it too?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. ColdFire1

ColdFire1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I briefly boot into Dell's windows installation then promptly did a clean install. So far boot never stuck at any point for me.

No appcrash either. System seems to be generally stable. Again, that's after clean install. not sure anything to do with pre-installed crapware.

I am using a EX920 1TB SSD. Bitlocker has some negative impact on read speed. Write is not affected as much

Seq Q32T1
    Bitlocker off: Read 2883 MB/s, Write 1671 MB/s
    Bitlocker on: Read 1608 MB/s, Write 1733 MB/s

The difference seems to be quite significant, however I decide to keep bitlocker since in reality I am not gonna feel that and security is more important to me.

improwise likes this.
  3. ColdFire1

ColdFire1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now I do have some standby issue with the 9570/Windows 10.

By default, the standby mode in BIOS is set to OS decide. And Windows 10 decided to use "Modern Standby", or better known as "Connected Standby". Basically system is in S0 state (low power idle) and can perform processing when it wants to. Two problem here:

1. At one occasion I put the laptop to standby mode. 6 hours later I tried to wake it up and found the laptop burning hot and the battery nearly depleted. Use powercfg /sleepstudy and log reported that the laptop was sleeping all the time. This really concerned me that the modern standby is not that reliable (failed to enter or something in the background keeps doing processing).

2. Standby power consumption is high: around 2% each hour when it works.

So I turned off Modern standby (set registry csEnabled = 0). Sleep study shows now the system is doing hybrid standby. it works fine but each time it enters sleep it will write about 2GB to SSD.

Then I turned hibernation off. Sleep study shows the system is doing standby (normal standby). One issue with standby is that sometimes the screen may flicker every few seconds until computer is restarted.

Next I entered BIOS and change standby to Suspend to RAM (S3). (Windows 10 claims that if you change the standby mode you need to re-install windows, however I did not see any problem without re-installation) Now everything just works like that in good old days. Close the lid the system goes to standby, with power consumption of 0.5% each hour. You can still use hibernate if you want (e.g., when battery gets critically low). Surely I cannot connect to the wifi during standby, but hey I am using a laptop not a tablet and what's the point.

improwise, splus and pressing like this.
  4. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'd just like to add that connected standby is a horrible pile of ****, and **** microsoft for pushing it.

Woodking likes this.
  5. maffle

maffle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ^ ... You have to change in bios (force S3) which is normal suspend to RAM. That's the first thing you do of course. No one wants to use modern standby on a laptop. You dont need to reinstall Windows for that. It is even dangerous because any Bluetooth mouse move will wake it up even the lid is closed. You can also force connected standby off by registry and just set hybrid standby to off via energy settings.

lefti696 likes this.
  6. lefti696

lefti696 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have exactly the same - sometimes it freezes on Dell logo just after turning on. I'm after clean install of windows. I didn't figured it out how to solve this issue ....
    But there are no app crashes.

7. swass

swass Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So what's the word on throttling vs previous models? I'm going to purchase today and don't have time to flip through 60+ pages. Can someone give me a brief summary? Are there any other major issues with the laptop? Much appreciated!

8. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This model throttles. It can be fixed but its an issue for some who don't/cant repaste and undervolt. I'd say thats a fair answer, I had an i7 but its on its way back to Dell now.

I had no coil whine but replaced the m.2 SSD with a Samsung. The screen is good, (FHD) and the killer wireless card has some issues that may be fixed at some point with updates.

Its fussy with RAM but if you read this forum you can find upgrades that work.

If you are buying mainly to game on this I'd look elsewhere, and do your homework on the other reviews of it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  9. swass

swass Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks a ton! Are these issues as prevalent and severe as with the 9560?

10. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For the Intel Graphics settings, should Panel Self-Refresh be enabled or disabled?