XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Use O&O Shut up 10 and you'll have a much better OS, its a great piece of software and I recommend everyone with W10 runs it. It doesn't need to be installed, run it once and choose your settings and it does practically everything you've mentioned.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. Saaaaa

Saaaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just received my XPS...how can they design a keyboard this size instead of using the available space???????

I've also a thinkpad x1 yoga and the keyboard is bigger (the laptop is smaller), how can the XPS have such a small keyboard????????

3. maffle

maffle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @wood ... :) I am an IT expert, I know what I'm doing. Of course, I use O&O ShutUp10. That was already included in what I said. WITH a tool like O&O ShutUp10, the things are like I said. It just limits some telemetry, not all. All the stuff I mentioned is still active with O&O ShutUp10. Windows 10 isnt designed properly for a nondesktop OS, and it is just terrible. It will never really idle. And the worst is... if you let the laptop idle, Windows uses this as "hey the user is away, let's do stuff while he is away!!!", and this will always burn your batteries or heat up the tablet or laptop.

4. Woodking

Reputations:
    Sorry, missed that part, there's so much to read on here when you are doing 2 things at once!

Plus, sometimes other users might not be aware so all answers may help someone whos not aware what it is.

W10 is a pile of junk, and I've been in I.T. since I used to install DOS 6.22 on floppy disks and used everything inbetween up to this OS so I guess I'm allowed to say that. I'd never call myself an expert though, not these days as things are moving so fast. I was happy with XP, then W7 but its all gone pear shaped now.

I did have a list of telemetry sites on my router I used to stop W10 updating itself on my W7 machines but it still doesn't stop W10 stuff from happening on the machines themselves, although they can't 'call home'. There's a lot of posts on here about W10 clean installs, and how to lock them down if you want me to find the one I used?

Edit : Heres a link you or others may find useful if you want to lock W10 down to behave itself a bit better, lots of tweaks on there even for I.T. experts :p

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-tweaks-and-fixes-index-post-1.779394/

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. maffle

maffle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Windows 10 is just terrible, and to me, it is still in beta. I think I read before, that Nutella fired 80% of the old Windows team, and that the Windows team is now just a really small number of people "keeping it alive". They introduce bugs after bugs with new updates and dont fix anything. It is so ironic because I was an insider since beta and I made a list of bugs, like in the first 10 minutes of using Windows 10. And these bugs... ARE STILL IN WINDOWS 10.

Then there is the problem, that there are too many services running. Most are maintaining, updates, virus and malware, but also stuff like SuperFetch, memory compression (BAD BAD BAD), error logging. WinSXS maintain (this burns my tablets like every day, 50% cpu for 20 minutes when it's idle), all kinds of notifications, tips, Cortana (which you cant deactivate properly). If you look into the task manager and let the laptop idle, there is always some Windows process which boosts into first ranks for a while, it will never be really idle.

pressing likes this.
  6. Woodking

Reputations:
    Services.msc and you can deactivate whatever service you like including superfetch - set the service to disabled but you prob already know that. Cortana is disabled by SU10 but you'll still see it in Task Manager as its just renamed seach. So glad I left the Win7 Ultimate machine I'm on now and didn't upgrade. Best decision ever.

What I didn't like was MS installing 10 in the background without users knowledge or permission, caught lots of people out. On the plus side it earned me lots of treats as neighbours brought their machines round for a fix.

We've slipped off topic a bit here Mr Maffle, perhaps go onto the OS forum here if you want a good old moan (or read)
    about W10, you wont be the only one and its only getting worse with every upgrade :eek:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/windows-os-and-software.15/

7. Saaaaa

Reputations:
    By the way, I've tried my lenovo X1 yoga active pen with the XPS 9570 and it works wonderful, in the first test i didnt notice any difference with lenovo pen input...

8. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Man... all this reports of severe throttling give me a headache in deciding which one to buy:

- Notebookcheck made a review for the i5-8300H+1050 gtx, and says it's good, almost doesn't throttle and fan noise only 43dB.
    - When I look for comments about the i7-8750H+1050Ti gtx, people say it throttles like hell and fans are very loud, talking about 48dB (saw that on reddit sometime)

I mean... what the hell? It's like there are worlds different between these 2 devices. Can it really be? Anyone has experience on both devices?

And if throttling and fan noise are really that bad on the i7 version, would it make more sense to go for the i5 version? I mean what's the point of a HexaCore+1050Ti if it throttles so much down, that it (maybe) ends up having the same performance like the Quadcore+1050 (or a slightly overclocked 1050)....

pressing and maffle like this.
  9. Flip1

Flip1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry if this has been mentioned in the thread, but what brand of SSD does it ship with?

Is it any good? Just grab a 256 and upgrade myself?

10. Saaaaa

Reputations:
    Mine came with hynix SSD... (1TB)