XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's why I'm still using it! Its difficult to relocate the inverter as its connected to the fuseboard and the solar panels, and it doesn't have wireless capability, this is using an add on BT card that goes inside it. Not to worry, I'll stick to this machine for now and either find a fix, or replace the inverter in the near future to one with wifi, its practically paid for itself now anyway.

They don't make 'em like they used to!

2. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Doing the fullsize cooling mod with thermaltape everywhere. How much do you need approximitely?

I have one 145x145x1.5mm and one 145x145x1mm arctic thermal pad in my amazon basket. Is it enough or toooooo much?

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00UYTU6Z6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

Also, have these in my basket to cool as much as possible to the chassi
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B075QCLFMC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A1A61ZWPD3ONW0&psc=1

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01FJUOVTG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A195QT2YQTA2PE&psc=1

and OOpps, it was Arctic MX-2 I still had in my toolbox lol. not mx-4 :( so maybe have to order Grizzly anyway

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  3. Trader05

Trader05 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Not sure if this will help with the 9570 but when I was testing AS5 and Kyronaut thermal pastes with my 9560 the AS5 performed better in my application. I cleaned and reapplied with different applications (dot, line, spread, less and more) and all with similar results. For some reason the AS5 was about 5 degrees lower in temps with load and idle than the Kyronaut. Def worth a shot if you guys have some old AS5 left over.

pressing likes this.
  4. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @eucalyptus show us what you will do and your results!

@Trader05 I also had better luck with a higher viscosity paste respect Kryonaut. Initially, I thought I received a bad batch.

eucalyptus and pressing like this.
  5. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has someone tried to disable Turboboost on the CPU? Should be 2.2ghz vs 4.1ghz (boost) on the i7.

And how does that influence temperatures, fan noise and game performance?

6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A few people do that.

But utilizing SpeedShift and adjusting EPP (say via ThrottleStop) is a much better way of controlling performance on modern chips.

franzerich likes this.
  7. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You'll lower all of them. But gaming performance is going to a unique case. Some games that are mostly GPU dependent won't mind the low clock speeds, but CPU dependent games will not like 2.2GHz. Like pressing said, you should try to lower your clock speeds by adjusting EPP. You'll keep the benefit of a partial turboboost.

franzerich and pressing like this.
  8. maffle

maffle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    TurboBoost is not a good idea if you want the fans quiet. It literally can boost your CPUs temperature for a second and also IN one second from 45 to 70. If you're unlucky that will trigger the fans on and off all the time. I wont recommend using turbo boost Mostly all games run same as good with 2,2GHz. It is just disgusting, that there is no way to alter fan profiles on the XPS. 45°c is too low for a trigger point. It has to be switched to at least 60°c.

The biggest issue is Windows 10 though because it is total garbage for a laptop or tablet. It will never be idle for sure and will always do something in the background (and trigger TubroBosst or letting the CPU always jump around). I hate that there is no "force idle" mode which literally deactivates EVERYTHING noise of Windows 10. Updates, WinSXS, 100 maintain services, SearchIndex, AntiVirus and Malware, Error reporting, logging, spying and telemetry, and countless other services running all the time in the background and decide its a good idea to do something randomly.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    splus and franzerich like this.
  9. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

So Speedfan doesn't work to optimize the fans??

10. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can block most of those if you are really annoyed by it, and you can even set it to do only certain stuff when idling for more than 10 minutes. For example, I set my Windows Defender to only start background scanning when the laptop is idling for more than 10 minutes.