XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm thinking thats what happened, 3rd party merchants possibly selling off rejected cards cheaply or something. It's almost like you can't trust anyone these days, there's so much fake stuff out there :eek:

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I doubt the ebay cards are rejects, they likely just order a bunch as OEM for cheap and then relist them for a quick buck.

Besides failure rates on something like these cards is probably measured in parts per million, not near the quantities being sold.

They could be chinese knockoffs but that's another story.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  3. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    I know they supply the OEM rubber grease for Honda, but I didn't know they made TIM, too.

custom90gt likes this.
  4. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Should you disable the default enabled disk encryption (semi bitlocker) btw for performance increase?

5. 00riddler

00riddler Newbie

Reputations:
    As you are in Germany you could just have ordered it from here.
    Got mine from them and it's working fine.

maffle likes this.
  6. Woodking

Reputations:
    Who's in Germany, @maffle ? My card came from Amazon US to the UK but it was a third party merchant not Amazon themselves.

Worked fine for wifi - the Bluetooth range was exceptionally poor and unstable no matter what I did or tried. I also have a Canton DM75 in the same room and it struggled to connect to that, and its been working perfectly for years with other machines so something was defiantely wrong with it but I gave up in the end, sadly defeated!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  7. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Damn!! ... I did not know that offer :/ I bought it from ebay, unfortunately,:( I hope the card isnt bad or anything or maybe even fake. I actually read about there are lots of fake cards out there of everything, wifi cards, gpus, ect.
    I actually finally got offer from normal Dell support to replace my 9570. It should arrive tomorrow.

@wood. Did you check the cables again? They're so tiny, maybe you accidentally broke them or didnt connect aux and main properly. You also have to reverse the colors I think on the Intel, so aux is main and main is aux compared to the Killer card. Windows 10 has lots of problems with BT btw since some updates. Did you try latest Intel drivers? You dont need to install the bad bloatware of Intel btw for the Wifi (Wifi Pro blub bla), use the For IT Administrators package zip, which is just a few MB in size with just the inf drivers, you can find them here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...7246/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

[​IMG]
    And then go into device manager and update driver from folder. Uninstall the Intel ProSet tools and all.

And Bluetooth:
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...5489/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Woodking likes this.
  8. Woodking

Reputations:
    Thanks Maffle,
    Tried all that, swapped both leads over twice, they were fine and I've got the hang of clicking those leads on and off gently. Cleaned up all the drivers and did a new install, messed around with all the settings like changing wireless channels to differnet and non overlapping channels etc etc. Removed it all, tried Windows 7 drivers, and then swapped back to the original Killer 1535 which gave me about another 5 metres connection but still not good enough. Wifi worked ok, even in the garden but no improvement over my other machines really.

I have a Win 7 install on this daily driver machine (XPS17) L702X and it has a Centrino N1030 card in and its conection to the Inverter is rock solid, has been for 5+ years. It logs onto the SMA Sunnyboy BT and pulls the data from it every day. Its about 10m away from the table here and theres a wall inbetween us. The 9260 had no chance, I had to go in another room and the 1535 made it into this room but not as far as the table. I'm beggered if I'm going to stand in the hall with the laptop every day!

No where in the settings did it have Bluetooth Amp, where the N1030 has and I think this may be the reason, the EU or whoever are always banging on about signal strength so I think they've nerfed the cards power somehow. Or I got a fake or a dud.

Either way its back onto old Faithful for now! Thanks for trying to help anyhows :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are plenty of knockoff wi-fi and bluetooth modules but I haven't read about that being a big issue for higher end laptop cards. The clones sometimes massively underperform data tx, use lots of power and don't work with newer firmware. This is one typical example

http://blog.blecentral.com/2015/05/05/hm-10-peripheral/

Regardless, buy at reputable retailer as this space has dubious actors.

Woodking likes this.
  10. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am still waiting for my 9570, so can't say anything about it.
    But if your old laptop holds a BT connection from the other room with a wall in between, then I think that laptop has some super pumped up BT chip in it!

I've never had any BT device that could keep good connection over 5m, let alone with a wall in between. I thought BT is designed for short distances and with "almost" clear line of sight, which has been my experience with all BT devices I've owned.