XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has any other notebook manufacturer put forth a design like this? How different is this from the standard copper pipes? It looks legit because of the 8 point mounts, and the fact it clearly covers VRMs as well. I know the vaper chamber tech in the XBox One X is legit in producing a very quiet machine. Although isn't this vapor chamber tech also said to be used in the 9575 as well - albeit it looks to be a combo with the standard heat pipes?

2. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's not too bad until we have some options from dbrand)

3. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's hard to tell if this is a good idea or not. We don't know yet if this is just a piece of copper or a big vapor chamber.
    Regardless, it's not clear to me if this will benefit the VRMs or hurt them. At the end of day, you might end up "transferring" the heat produced by the CPU and GPU to the VRMs with this design.

In general, this one piece cover everything will tend to equalize the temp among all components...
    I am curious to see how it performs!

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    pressing likes this.
  4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I suppose we will see how good that heatsink is as people test it. It looks nice. If it fits well, the radiators are big enough, and the fans are powerful enough, I think it could be quite effective. There is a lot of heat to dissappate. And some Razer laptops have a history of running hot.

On another note, some good laptops have been using vapour heat pipes for quite a while now. A tell-tale would be a hollow pipe with an obvious sealed nipple. Here is a quick primer on the technology:

http://odm.coolermaster.com/manufacture.php?page_id=8#!prettyPhoto

5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agreed. Merging CPU, GPU, and VRM to same heatsink is a problem of engineering in a small space on a small budget.

I suppose this can work on a case-by-case basis with a bit of trial-and-error and a bit of luck. Not sure our laptop engineers bother with either. So that leaves the real beta testing for us : )

6. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I mean the very definition of a heat pipe is a vapor chamber to transfer heat. It's pretty much a universal technology and I would guess 99% of laptops have it. The idea of a large vapor chamber like Razer is doing is interesting, let's hope they figure it out. Aside from the 17" razer pro, I can't think of one that didn't overheat like mad.

Dannemand and pressing like this.
  7. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In comparison with Razer Blade 14"

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 22.15.44.png

DVSman, pressing and abujafar like this.
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well the mating surface is more serious & the radiators are much larger.

Not sure the larger heat chamber would perform better than traditional heat pipes in small laptops.

9. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I like that Razer is offering a full redesign of the aging Razer Blade 14 chassis design, and I like that they have retained a centered keyboard with speakers on the deck. It does further reveal some of the shortcuts and oddities of the XPS 15 9570, including the wireless card, which is the same old Killer 1535. Even Dell's G5 and G7 have the Intel 9260 Bluetooth 5.0 card as standard, while the XPS 15 2 in 1 is even worse as it has the Killer 1435 integrated. Pricing is the the major strength of Dell, with more discounts than what I have seen from Razer, Gigabyte, and MSI.

10. cpaek72

cpaek72 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Here are my stock benchmarks for the 9570 i9, 32gb of ram, with the 1050ti. The temps can get high, but the laptop has been rock solid stable...no crashes no bluescreen.

RealBench-20180523004902.png