XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ... yes it does. AC connected of course, trigger point is around 45c. 9550 did, 9560 did, 9570 does.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    What's odd is that I think the 9570 was much better at fan control than the 9550/9560. I used it for hours at a time plugged in while studying and never really heard the fan. I'm typing on my Carbon right now and the fan just ramped up and I'm slightly annoyed, so I'm sure I would have noticed it.

3. maffle

Reputations:
    Could be, that with 4k display the fans are kicking in more often at idle because the iGPU gets a bit warmer handling 4k than people who have the 1080p display.

4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Interesting, that's a possibility. Are you undervolting? Perhaps try undervolting the igpu??

maffle likes this.
  5. maffle

Reputations:
    I undervolted CPU, cache and iGPU by -90 to -100 mV. First, that didnt help much for low temps, because the CPU already seems to have very low voltage for low frequencies. Temps are around 42°C when idle and doing nothing, the moment I open a Chrome tab about every 20-30 seconds, temps go to 45-50°c and fans kick in all the time, it is just too annoying.

It also seems, the iGPU doesnt like undervolting much. I did prime95 test and it was stable, but all apps which used video decoding like Netflix, VLC ect had random app crashes with an undervolt of -100mV of the iGPU.

Doing mild work with the XPS with AC connected without fans kicking in is just impossible and it is the most annoying thing about it. If Dell would set the trigger point for the fans just 10 to even 20°C higher, it would be perfect. 45°C is just way too low.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  6. micmax

micmax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I fully agree with your impressions and statement.

maffle likes this.
  7. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you try including an undervolt to the System Agent? I found it helped lower the TDP when matched to the iGPU undervolt. You got a much better undervolt on your iGPU than mine, maybe it might help you a bit to give it a try?

Also, whats your max Turbo speed, is it still on 41? Try setting it in TS to 6 cores active 37 just to see if that help as well.

8. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Is Chrome set to use the dedicated card? Have you checked GPU-z to see what is really going on GPU wise?

9. maffle

Reputations:
    I deactivated turbo boost of course totally. Also set it to "quite" in Dell power too. How can you see if Chrome uses dGPU or iGPU? I think I checked actually, and it always showed 0°c or 0Hz for the dGPU so I think it was off in that case, and just was used when I started a game. What is System Agent actually? I think I saw before in TS videos, you shouldnt undervolt it, just CPU cache and iGPU. I use RivaStatisticsServer for that with MSI Afterburner to check in 3d applications.

There is this damn bug btw in Windows 10. If you play a game in 1080 fullscreen (switched to dGPU), and return to desktop (iGPU) in 4k, the systray is broken and looks like this:

[​IMG]
    And you have to reboot Windows to fix it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  10. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, after days of trying to get BT to work as well as an old Dell XPS 17 thats been rock solid for years, I've sadly been defeated today!

Having to undervolt, repaste, pad and having to spend hours backwards and forwards to the Post Office returning different memory modules just to find one that works, I thought to myself "Why on earth am I continuing doing this to a laptop that has so many issues"?

Thats it, I'm done and this one's going back.

Thanks for all the advice, you guys are great but sometimes you have to know when enough is enough and this is that time for me.