XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Eason: Are you talking about the 9570 or the 9575? Anyway, why don't you try to use a more viscous thermal paste (like Gelid GC extreme). It can help with unevenness.

Eason and pressing like this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have no idea either. Idle temps var doesn't say much.

More or thicker paste I suppose could compensate somewhat for uneven heatsink/die. The contrary case (liquid metal) requres tight tolerances to work properly.

My guess is a warped heatsink. You can lap the heatsink pretty easily just need to use caution. Lapping the CPU is a different kettle of fish. I would complain to Dell and get them to send you a new heatsink.

3. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Tried every paste but I just seem to make it 2-3C worse. I will try lapping the sink.

4. micmax

micmax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What are your experiences with the fan behaviour? Mine is not good. Even on lowest power preferences (Dell Power Manager on silent; energy battery symbol status slider left, throttlestop on battery) and repasting w. liquid metal, padding and undervolting the fans kick in every 10 or 20 seconds or even running w. 2.500 rpm for 15-20 seconds. Win 10 is up to date. This is very, very annoying. Imo Dell should invest some Bios-work on this item.

In the evening i'm watching dokus on youtube and then i want absolute silence. I had a Macbook Pro for a longer time and here you hear- nothing. Of course i repasted the Mac.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    pressing likes this.
  5. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That is sadly how things are with the XPS, it always was like this, and Dell doesnt care to change it. The problem is, that the fans seem to kick in when CPU reaches about 45°C, which is just stupid. Dell doesnt care about it, and you cant change it, nor do apps like NBFC work. The trigger point is just way too low. It should just be set to 65°C.

6. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    does not happen to me.

7. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nor me. On mine all day and didn't hear the fans at all.

8. moodz

moodz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have fans kick in occasionally with small bursts on AC power. On battery power it's dead silent.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

9. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone with the Intel 9260 wireless card fitted in the 9570 had any issues with the BT range to connect to other devices?

I have an XPS 17 (702X) with an Intel Centrino N 1030 wireless card in it, and from the table where I sit and use it every day, it connects via BT to a Sunnyboy Inverter and updates to Sunny Explorer software and has worked well for years.

Testing the 9570 today to replace this machine, all up to date with Intel wireless drivers and BIOS, and using the same Sunnyboy software, I can only connect to the Inverter using BT if I move a lot closer and into another room. It connects well if I'm a lot closer and I've (yet again) had the back off this laptop and the 9260 card is seated properly and both aerial leads are connected.

Removed and reinstalled the card drivers, installed Intel Proset and tried it again but cant seem to find a way to boost the BT range/power.

10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cool widget for HWiNFO64. I have been looking for something like this for Windoze and fan speed monitor for some time. How does one launch it from Win10?

On the 9550 and 9560, the PCH caused fans to start spinning at uber low temps (e.g. 38C but can't remember where threshold was set exactly). Fix was to put some thermal pads between it and the case bottom.

Perhaps next stupid low temp threshold might be the DIMM at around 62C. But you will need to research that on recent posts as I don't know much about it. Regardless, this is not the annoying fan trigger you are enjoying...