XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thermal improvement without taking too much risk. Ok - either undervolt using Throttlestop and its as easy as clicking a few buttons and doing a couple of benchmarks to ensure its stable. Not happy doing that, then use the pre installed Dell Power Manager Utility on your machine and either select 'Cool' or 'Quiet' depending on your requirements. Cool will stop the main processor using Turbo Boost (where a lot of the excess heat comes from) but you lose about 40% ish of the chrunching power as a trade off but it won't/should not overheat. Quiet will allow the machine to get a bit warmer but also has a performance trade off.

As @custom90gt 's excellent link shows everything you could possibly need to do or know about repasting, all you need to do is order yourself some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste and some Artic Thermal Pads 50x50x1.5mm of the 6,0 W/mK variety and get 'yer tools out if you feel you need a little bit more improvement.

backslashfr likes this.
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Here is what I wrote:
    Summary:
    If I had to rank order what I think is worthwhile here is how I would do it.

1. Undervolt - by far the best
    2. Cheap thermal pad between the ram and case bottom - super cheap and easy to do
    3. Repaste - a little more advanced but worthwhile, especially in keeping the max temps down
    4. iunlock mk5 mod - basically just try to cool some of the VRM near that ambient sensor - only really if you want max performance, but I don't know if the juice was worth the squeeze so to speak on that one.

Please let me know what your questions are about it, I'm happy to help, but not sure what my post is missing.

backslashfr likes this.
  3. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    He is right call customer service tell them you are unhappy with the laptop and want to return it make sure to be within your return date and I think they may count the days when the laptop left the factory not when you receive it.

Woodking likes this.
  4. ColdFire1

ColdFire1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No extensive test. I put 16GB in Slot A, booted just fine with or without the 4GB module in Slot B. Got it $165 shipped from Adorama. The DRAM module is listed as compatible on Crucial website (yeah I heard lots of complaints about the compatibility issue, even the model listed as compatible)

Woodking likes this.
  5. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks Coldfire1, appreciate the reply.

Ordered on your positive findings, (and I'm pretty sure this is the CL 19 vs 16 issue). Will report back either way, works/doesnt.

Cheers.

6. ColdFire1

ColdFire1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You are welcome Woodking. Hope things all work just fine.

7. vCanalla

vCanalla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Custom, if you can, can you link the pads that you got? Also, do you just cut the size the length of the ram module and stick it right over the module?

8. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    backslashfr likes this.
  9. backslashfr

backslashfr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for helping me, guys :)
    So I am gonna go with step 1 and 2 : undervolt and thermal pad on RAM
    I have read both thread (this one and custom90gt's, but a few questions remains...

1)
    About throttlestop : is there any risk for my PC (except a few BSOD) ?
    I have to try step by step to undervolt it, right ?
    I don't have to run it at each rebooting, right ? once undervolt is done, it stay undervolted ?
    How do I stress test it ? (which benchmark do I run to be sure it is stable ?)
    Which level of undervolt did you reach ?
    How will I know if I did bad ?

2)
    Unfortunately, your ebay seller does not ship to france, so if I go with this one (maximum 1,5 mm), is it ok ? : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00UYTU6Z6/
    So i just cut it precisely (adjusted on RAM size) and put it on the RAM ?
    Is there anywhere else that I can put those pad if I have too much ?

Thanks a lot for your advices !

10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations: