XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. pkincy

pkincy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I doubt you can find any laptop on these fora that don't have problems reported. This is where people come when they have a problem.

I don't game but can get mine to TjMaxx (97 deg C) in about 40-50 seconds by simply asking Lightroom to search for new photos to add to my catalog. Now I do have 22,000 images that it has to go through but that is getting pretty hot pretty quickly. However that is a relatively unusual situation for my use and I can live with it. However I wouldn't expect to use this laptop for extensive gaming. That is best done on a desktop with a lot of cooling. If you want a laptop for its portability you will have to suffer some compromises over a laptop with top of the line components and cooling. I just built a new PC and it will heat the room up pretty quickly with the heat it generates but given the fans, the case and the space it doesn't throttle. Anything portable will.

2. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Excuse me? Already forget about me? I am sitting here with my 1 week new lemon XPS and the Dell Premium Support denies a repair or exchange. I got three answers from them now. He even told me he asked his boss, and they cant give me a repair or exchange for these problems (coil whine, back bleed, annoying fan). Last time I bought anything from Dell and will just go for Amazon.

I also have two 8GB MicronTech RAMs and the noises seem to come directly from the center. Could be though, that it's the voltage regulation too, which also sits on the top center.

3. ColdFire1

ColdFire1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ordered on 6/11 and received on 7/2. i7/8GB/256GB. Replaced SSD (EX920 1TB) and DRAM (CT16G4SFD826 16GB CL19).

DRAM: I mixed the 16GB with one of the 4GB stick to make 20GB total. According to Intel 8GB will be in dual channel mode and 12GB would be in single channel. Running at 2666.

EX920: Read ~2000 MB/s, write ~1700 MB/s. Read performance is lower than that of desktop.

Snapped one of the UF.L connector when replacing the Wifi card. Was able to get the metal piece out of the pigtail with the help of a microscope. Definitely a scary experience. Would not recommend of doing that unless absolutely necessary.

Did a clean install of windows. So far most of things are positive and no major complaint here. Did notice the CPU idle at relatively high temperature and the fan can kick in decently frequent, some people suggest re-pasting, probably later.

Woodking and pressing like this.
  4. Xocomil

Xocomil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I can return the laptop within 21 days for full refund? The sales guys didn't tell me that. I'll call them tomorrow. Thanks

5. backslashfr

backslashfr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys!
    A lot of message have been posted and it is quite difficult to summerize all this stuff about repaste and thermal pad.
    Can someone tell me what is the better choice for thermal improvment (without taking to much risk) : repaste (which paste do you recommand ?) and/or new thermal pad (which one and where to put them ?) and/or undervolt (if so, which software and which set up ?)
    Thank you very much for helping !
    Have a nice day

6. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They can't stop you returning the laptop if you don't want to keep it, you have consumer rights in that case. Call Customer Services - not support, and tell them your case and tell them firmly you want to return it straight away.

7. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I literally have a whole thread that answers your questions. I suggest reading the first three posts at least of the following:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-15-9570-benchmarks-temps.817970/

pressing likes this.
  8. andytom69

andytom69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    con la mia nuova Dell (I9) non gioco. l'unica cosa che mi aspetto affidabilità e nessun malfunzionamento, lo userò per la costruzione di musica e video