XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ok understood. I'm not sure coil whine could be fixed easily, for example my machine doesn't have it at all but if it did and I wasn't able to fix it and it bothered me that much I would probably return it or ask for a replacement. If its unbearable to you all then the other work to fix that machine you have there would be pointless to do then if you did it all but the coil whine persisted.

If you really want to have and keep a decent/reliable 9570 I recommend changing the wireless card to an Intel 9260, do a clean install of W10 and drivers, repaste, undervolt and you should be set. All of that information of "how to do it" is available right here thanks to the people who've done it themselves and then spent their own time posting it up for people like us :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would return it, it's not worth the aggravation for the coil whine and the light bleed, as everyone else said a fresh install of windows and the drivers will fix the software problems.

I would also talk to sales tell them the problems you are having but you want to purchase another on so what are they willing to offer you, call back several times if you have to until you reach someone willing to offer you a good discount.

Don't wait too long to return it.

jeremyshaw likes this.
  3. PendragonInc

PendragonInc Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I wonder how many us are really waiting for their next design, this is chassis is ANCIENT.

4. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah so I flipped the switch, repasted, and then I screwed the sink back on. Then I flipped the switch BEFORE I put that cover back on. whoops. ****ty design, come on

pressing likes this.
  5. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I mean it's not the design of the EMI shielding that was the problem. But I get it, I've messed up like that on more than one occasion.

pressing likes this.
  6. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey everyone :)

Had to register just to participate in this thread. Seems like this is the only discussion going around on the internet right now about the 9570 :)

I had the Huawei Matebook X pro pre-ordered. But then I realized how scammed I was with the price....I am from Sweden, so our prices are way higher than US or most of Europe. Anyway, the specs of Huawei are sooooo overpriced, you pay like 1000 USD for the screen and chassi.....

For the exact same money, I can get the XPS 15 9570 with 4K, 8750H, 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD.

So now I have read all the 50 pages here and anything else I could find on the internet for the past week and I am really tempted to buy one.

It just sucks to read about the thermal throttling. I am a very experienced PC builder, but I am so tired of it, and messing around with a brand new notebook just sucks.

I will only use it for University studies (economics), Netflix and web browsing.

Another thing I really and always disliked about XPS notebooks are the carbon fiber. It looks disgraceful compared to full aluminum chassis like the Macbook Pro. Anyone who put vinyl wrap on their XPS? I so badly want white carbon fiber :p

The HP Spectre 13-af003no white notebook is easily the most gorgeous one I've ever seen, just sucks it completely sucks with 43W battery LOL.

Are we getting any support from Dell about swapping the crappy killer card to Intel 9260 from factory and the thermal heating problems? Or are they ignoring it completely because they sell a decent amout of laptops to companies in offices that couldn't care less about any known issues...

7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sweden is an awesome country - had some great times there. Girls are fantastic!

Why are laptop prices so high in Sweden?

You could just use the laptop stock out of the box but it will perform much worse than you would expect given the powerful CPU and GPU inside.​

@custom90gt made a huge thermals thread so the testing is already done. Just follow his simple tips and you get better performance, thermals, and battery life. He did the same with the similar 9550 and 9560 and has owned well over a dozen of these XPS laptops.

Also, you will want to do a clean install of Windoze and drivers to eliminate Dell bloatware. This has improved performance and reduced glitches a lot for me so is really a necessary step.

I have a lot of carbon fibre products. Dell did a nice job with the carbon fibre case; it is light, stiff and looks of high quality. The case likely has some fibreglass weaved in for cost but that does not matter.

Dell uses a rubbery-type coating on the carbon fibre that gets oily quickly from your skin. A microfibre cloth cleans it easily and is the only solution I found that works. Sometimes I slightly dampen the microfibre.

The coating looks a bit delicate but my 9550 is a few years old, gets a lot of daily use and still looks new. I am very careful, however. In the 9550 and 9560 threads you will see a few complaints about cleaning the carbon fibre. There are a few posts about damage or wear but frankly this does not seem to be a huge quality issue (the XPS has plenty of other issues lol).

There is a Canadian youtube guy called Dave2D from canada that uses dBrand skins on his laptops and I think has a few on his XPS models (you can look for the 9550 and 9560 videos as the cases are essentially identical. I think he is sponsored by dBrand but can't remember. Regardless, he seems to be an honest guy who knows laptops well and is EXTREMELY detail and neat oriented.

custom90gt, eucalyptus and Woodking like this.
  8. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Hey thank you sir! GREAT answer and reply :)

I did check out Custom90gt's posts with his very detailed thermal measurements.

What I am missing is a more explained explanation about the heatsinks, how small they must be to fit size wise. I would love to try liquid metal, but sadly I am not ready for it. Running regular arctic silver paste on my 5820K and 1080 Ti too. But could buy Grizzly paste for the XPS.

Sweden has 25% sale tax on everything. And Huawei also decided to gain some extra here since the market is very small so they could earn some more... For example, the Matebook X pro with i7 is retailed for 1499 USD in the North America 1349 USD for students and military if I am correct.

In Sweden that same notebook costs 2345 USD.................... haha :) but sure, our girls adds up for the more expensive notebooks ;)

Besides thermal throttling with heating issues. Are there any other major known issues? I know the Wifi killer card is crap and I read some are experiencing ghosting on the 4K screen. Anything else? I also read the out of the box wear on the battery is false reading by the bios or something.

I heard about the clean installs of Windows. Do you guys do fresh by bootable USB or do you "fresh install" from the built-in Windows options (factory reset)?

What SSD do you get with the 512GB ? Hynix? Too bad they don't use Samsung.

Gonna call Dell early next week, I hope to get that sweet 12% discount they offered earlier this week. I srsly doubt they would care or even know anything about the know issues we all discuss and are experiencing. Or that they happily would want to switch the killer card for a intel 9260.

9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Indeed!

USB get download directly from M$ site

It is based on luck. Dell uses a lot of Samsung SSDs so there is a chance you get a good drive or a mediocre drive. In the real world, you probably will not notice a difference as they are all so fast.

I use very large music instrument programs and statistical analysis programs. Notice no difference between 850EVO SATA and 960PM nvme, ever.

eucalyptus likes this.
  10. micmex

micmex Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What bios-time (task-manager/startup tab) do you have?
    And do you have any tips to reduce the time?
    Mine is between 12-14s (i9/32gb/1tb), have seen it down to 3s on other computers

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018