XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The machines are "stable". Thermally and power constrained, but stable. The users are just trying to squeeze more performance with undervolting/repaste.

I am not at all sure that Intel will manage to get to 10nm next year either.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  2. el3ctronics

el3ctronics Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've had the XPS 9570 for a couple of days now and I have to say this is an unbelievably fantastic laptop. I understand that a lot of people on this forum are hardcore power users that will try to squeak out every bit of juice they can by messing with the internals. But for the typical user of this type of machine (ie: coding, graphical work, extensive modeling etc) it doesn't get better than this.

I had previously received 2 XPS 9575's and had significant issues with both machines that led me to return them (and question Dell's quality control). But in all honesty, the XPS 9570 has been nothing short of magnificent and has exceeded my expectations.

The new i7 chip along with the GTX 1050ti is a great combination and has been able to handle anything I've thrown at it. The fans are quiet, the screen is bright, vibrant and super crisp and Dell seems to have finally fixed the coil whine issue that has plagued their last few generations of laptops. Overall, I couldn't be happier with this machine.

9ac3, huntnyc and pressing like this.
  3. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I must say. With the new Razer being announced, Dell really dropped the ball on this laptop. With Gigabyte, MSI and Razer now being able to stick 1070 MaxQ's in similar footprints as the XPS 15, Dell should've gone for a 1060 MaxQ.

There are plenty of reasons for the extra GPU power beyond gaming. And Dell just wouldn't listen to customers. They cheaped out on designing the 9570, purposely putting out the laptop without even redesigning the cooling system. Even though competition clearly shows that it is possible.

4. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'd be happy if they just fixed the cooling. For some reason they opted to spend their development resources a notch lower instead, on the 2-in-1s, I guess they think that's more of a premium market.

pressing likes this.
  5. Saaaaa

Saaaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, the new Razer seems to be a real competitor to XPS 9570..

6. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This heat sink looks promising!

razer.png

7. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'm just curious if it will cool. If past designs are any indication, no, no it won't.

jeremyshaw and pressing like this.
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 9570 CPU seems happy to undervolt but don't have much data on repaste benefits (other than a photo which shows terrible factory paste job). I am cautiously optimistic that a few mods, similar to those we made to the 9560, can make this a good laptop.

The 2-in-1 laptop market has a lot of players so I suppose Dell had a tough time ignoring the space, particularly in the bulky 15" market.

abujafar likes this.
  9. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You should check our their cooling system though. If Razer is to be believed, they upped the TDP of the cooling by 30% over the last iteration. A massive amount of copper from what I saw.

That said, I really wish Razer would do something about their logo, it is ghastly. A more modern variant, less snakey, would do so much for their branding.

10. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I looked at their cooler and I'm not convinced. I have been burned more than once by razer, both literally and figuratively, in the past. I'll believe it works when the reviews say that it does. Until then I'm more skeptical of Razer's cooling than even dell's...