XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. pascaladjaero

pascaladjaero Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What laptop did your new XPS replace?
    How's the speed of your new i9 machine compared to what you were using? Does it impress or did you feel a little disappointed?
    Days to day tasks, does it over heat? Do they fans run continuously?
    Battery life?
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So... my 9570 with i7 and 4k display came yesterday. And I just opened a ticket to send it back:

- terrible coil whine (so pathetic, of all the lies and propaganda "Dell fixed the coil whine with new XPS"
    - back bleed, right corner is a bit into the red on black
    - fans make annoying frequency when in the lowest RPM

It came with a 512GB SK Hynix SSD btw, which has really bad benchs compared to a Samsung. And also awesome how:

- Netflix, VLC and some other programs force closed / app crashed all the time
    - 4k dispaly has horrible ghosting (move mouse cursor on gray and you have like 1cm long ghost cursor)
    - wifi randomly breaks and had some yellow triangle issue (driver crashed it seemed, had to reboot)
    - fans are really annoying because of they trigger at around 45°C and then run for 10 seconds and go off and then go on again
    - fans randomly pop on for just a second or two and go off again
    - the 4k display has btw one of the worst black levels I ever seen on any monitor, it is literally just gray

Had latest bios installed of course, didnt do anything for that. Same for latest Intel GPU driver.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    pressing likes this.
  3. Xocomil

Xocomil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone used their 9570 for HD / 4k editing on Davinci resolve? I'm waiting for my i7 fhd 16GB to be sent out. But curious to hear others experiences.

And to be honest, with all the issues people are having I'm thinking about canceling and getting a precision 5520 or hp / Lenovo workstation.

Also saw the new msi gs65 gets some pretty hot reviews Maybe worth the extra $500-600 and upgrade to 1060 gpu

4. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was using the XPS 9550 it has been giving me trouble have had a few things fixed on it the last time it was the mainboard, battery, keyboard, trackpad so I will see how well it lasts this time but I do like the XPS that's why I ordered it.

I will likely repaste sometime next week, haven't tested the battery yet, fan seems to come on with just surfing the net so hope the repaste will fix this.

I am impressed with the laptop and plan on keeping it for at least 4 years shouldn't be an issue with the specs as they are maxed out and I have 4 years of warranty so if it does crap out I will be covered.

I haven't noticed the laptop getting hot to the touch I ran furmark and it was fine and have used it for Netflix with no issues.

Also no coil whine yay :)

pressing, pascaladjaero and Trader05 like this.
  5. pascaladjaero

pascaladjaero Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Excellent response! I had the 9550 (i5) and upgraded to a 9560 (i7) was looking to get the new one but will either wait for an i9 FHD config to show up down the road or get the next one.
    Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

6. PendragonInc

PendragonInc Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Eason did you figure out what caused the poor eGPU performance? I read your article recently.

7. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looking at buying pretty soon. Strange here in Europe there is no way to choose Windows 10 pro. Was willing to pay extra to get pro.

Dont want to do any clean installs, just like the ability to restore to factory default with all the drivers.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

8. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd have liked W10 Pro as well, no option at the time I bought mine. IMHO a clean install is far better than factory default - so much less junk to uninstall.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    moodz likes this.
  9. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    But you loose the recovery partition.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

10. micmex

micmex Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No problem, just buy the cheapest possible Win10 pro key and then upgrade (don't need to do clean install) your Win Home, it took me 5min and works perfectly. Instructions to be found on youtube.
    I tried to order the pro version via mail, but received negativ answer from Dell Support.