XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. backslashfr

backslashfr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello !

I have some issues with my keyboard :
    First, some letter are not recognized when i am typing (not always the sameone, not systematically)
    Second, the space bar is kind of "squealing" or "grinding" everytime I type on it...

Do you have this issue ?
    I am thinking of calling Dell onsite waranty but don't want to send it back !

Thanks for helping !

2. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Got the XPS 15 9570 a few days ago. It is the FHD i7 8750H model with 16gb RAM and a 512gb SSD. Did not notice any bezel fitting issues, which was a major issue I had on the 9560 I briefly owned. Some bottom bezel screen bleed though, which is a bit disappointing coming from an MSI GE62 6QD, which despite all its flaws had essentially no screen bleed. Otherwise, an excellent screen. I am noticing some stutters while using Chrome primarily, which may be an Optimus issue, despite using the latest Intel Graphics and Nvidia drivers. No keyboard issues here and the fingerprint sensor works okay, but is not up to par with the ones on smartphones. Speakers are meh, but headphone output is working well for me at the moment. 3D graphical performance is good after a good undervolt via Throttlestop, but was poor prior to doing so. As @custom90gt indicated, the GPU did not get burning hot, reaching a max of approximately 79 degrees C. The CPU got toastier, reaching the low 90s, which makes it clear that the i9 model that reviewers have is not at all worth the significant premium. Still, the performance with undervolting is a nice step-up from the 9560. Strong battery life, but that 9.9 percent wear level out of the box thing is annoying. And I love having media keys again!

3. pascaladjaero

pascaladjaero Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't worry about the battery wear level, it really just reads thanks out of the box because of something with the bios and windows. I can't remember exactly what it was but someone explained it for me (and I confirmed it) sometime last year when I got my 9560. Your battery's fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. pascaladjaero

pascaladjaero Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It reads around 8 - 11 wear levels out of the box
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5. pkincy

pkincy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow talk about heat and throttling! I installed Lightroom 6.0 today and started importing my 20,000 images. Temps shot up until it throttled about 8,000 images in. Was running 98 deg C on all cores til it throttled down.

Good news was it was darned quick until it throttled. The last 12,000 images took about 20 times as long to load in the catalog as the first 8,000.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  6. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 9570 does have a bit of an issue out of the box, (well mine certainly did) but I'm happy to report a clean install - thermal pads here and there a repasting with Kryonaut Grizzly and undervolting and it's pretty much sorted now. Using Throttlestop to slightly reduce the turbo ratio on 4+ cores down a notch makes a big difference to lower temps as well while only slightly effecting the benchmarks.

Perhaps future BIOS updates will also help stop the throttling but the way the machine is built and cooled as it arrives from Dell has a few issues. Still a great machine though in my humble opinion and I'll be keeping mine. :cool:

7. fenc

fenc Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey.

I'm looking to buy the XPS 9570 4k display i7, 16 gb ram and 256 gb ssd and was wondering if you guys overall could recommend the machine. I will be up for undervolting the cpu and replacing the killer wifi for the intel 9260. But replacing thermal pads and repasting is something i would avoid.

So given that i wont repaste and replace the thermal pads will you recommend it?

I will primarily be using the computer to study and doing different day to day tasks, sometimes i may do some light gaming

Thanks

8. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi Fenc

I was like you at the start and didn't want to repaste or replace the pads, but after giving it a go I found it a lot easier than I thought it would be, and the results made it worthwhile for me to do. The machines are goog IMHO, they do have a few issues but it's workable to get them running really well and I can only believe Dell will get more fixes as they get feedback from people like us.

If you are going to use yours for light work/gaming and not push it to the extreme I believe it would be a good machine for you. Swapping out the wireless card isn't that much different/difficult from repasting but I'm happy to do both now and would recommend both to be happy with the temps.

HTH :)

9. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dell paste is standard (sometimes poor) but the cooling is underdesigned so works well only with good paste. I guess there is a chance you get by without bad direct thermal throttling out-of-the-box. Though if you plan switching wifi (which may not be needed), you might as well consider repasting, it ain't rocket science, though also not work for just anybody. Stock VRAM thermal pads are okay, maybe add a tiny thin bit under the one near the fan if you see lack of contact. Do pad the VRM mosfets, that's easier than replacing wifi.

10. fenc

fenc Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks :) I have built my own gaming pc and a server before, so you guys dont think it's more diffucult than that?