XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. RvN76

RvN76 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    IMO single vs dual ranked is always a point to consider when incompatibility occurs. But I doubt it for this case as they may not have tested the RAMs on that machine. I personally don't think Dell would pick something that is hard to get from the market to make a 32GB machine. Is there any 16GBx2 2667MHz single ranked RAM on the market? Or can anyone with the 32GB RAM stock machine take a look at their RAMs?

2. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can scan the Userbenchmark user results for the 9570 and 9560.

3. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone had trouble installing a clean Windows 10, using AHCI and Secure Boot with a Samsung 960 Pro? I just get the Dell BIOS logo until I go in and disable secure boot and enable legacy roms. Three times now and its becoming painful!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  4. backslashfr

backslashfr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    splus and Woodking like this.
  5. Woodking

Reputations:
  6. Woodking

Reputations:
    UEFI and Secure Boot working with a clean install of Windows 10 - it seems this machine's BIOS is very touchy and doesn't like too many changes in one go.

7. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had problems getting it to work with an USB created by Rufus but the Windows Media Creation tool or whatever it is called nailed it the first time with secure boot and UEFI.

Woodking likes this.
  8. thomask39

thomask39 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info, I got the min backlight bleed option and the 100% pixel guarantee. I have a stack of spare 850 evo m.2 drives and I plan on installing Linux, so I went for the no-SSD option. As far as the thermal paste, I have some leftover from my desktop so I plan to repaste myself.

I am mostly just unhappy that Dell sent me 2 laptops with dead pixels, so I chose to go with HIDevolution instead.

The one thing I'm not sure about is warranty, for now I'm sticking with the default warranty (which is extended to 2 years through my credit card). My trust for Dell service is at an all-time low after being lied to so many times over the last few weeks, so I can't bring myself to pay extra for a warranty that I don't even know if they'll honor. I hear stories of people getting refurbished parts etc. which at that point I might as well just purchase and install myself for less than $300.

9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Keep us posted on your experience with min backlight bleed option and with HIDevolution.

I've pretty good experience with Dell's premium team (all India based). Wasted a few hours on the phone. Onsite service was good (outsourced to local firm) for 9550 and replaced soundcard and speakers with new ones. Dell never really solved the speaker sound clicking when changing screen brightness or the wonky headphone jack that requres a restart sometimes; I can live with those engineering design issues.

I still think the extended warranty price is pretty good. After the warranty if you are good with DIY, you can buy lots of replacement parts on line. The 9550 & 9560 motherboards are pretty robust.

10. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Most manufacturers use refurbished parts, only the ones which cannot be repaired are replaced with new ones like the keyboard. It's the way all businesses work and it's nothing new.