XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. backslashfr

backslashfr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. pascaladjaero

pascaladjaero Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can try to do a fresh windows installation and if the device still can't be found then you might have to exchange the laptop for another one
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3. moodz

moodz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, this is what I thought myself as well.
    Funny part is that before BIOS update it was actually working fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  4. pascaladjaero

Reputations:
    Yeah, sometimes I don't even bother with the bios update, I wait for quite some time before updating if I don't have any issues with my laptop. Let us know if a fresh install solves the issue.

jeremyshaw and moodz like this.
  5. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thinkpads are a different league indeed, but they are also meant for different things. I've worked with my share of them, up until the W540 and T540 and the build quality is indeed great, but they also do get hot. I never checked for throttling, but if even the plastic case with magnesium underneath got hot then I assume yes they did. They also had more bloatware than Dell and personally I would get an XPS due to better design and comparable performance (I had an XPS M1530 at that time and always preferred it over the T-series).
    As for the P52 it should be compared to a Precision, not an XPS.

6. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep, Precision 7xxx league.
    I used to have one Thinkpad T and recently we've had a couple of P50 and I should comment that they weren't exactly free of all problems either.

7. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    These are just laptops, there will always be drawbacks, in most cases due to temperature, but that is the cost of portability.

8. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just bought a 9575 i7/16gb. I will own the whole XPS line for this year at this point lol. Not sure which 2 of the 3 to keep. The relatively meh eGPU performance of the XPS 15 does kinda annoy me because the internal card is not that good.

Got i7/16/512/FHD with Win 10 pro, case, and pen for 1400 + 66 usd shipping. I'm pretty happy with that. So, now I have the i7/16 FHD of XPS 15 9570, XPS 13 9370, and XPS 15 9575 :p

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  9. pascaladjaero

Reputations:
    LOL
    Wondering what I would use even 2 laptops for, but I see the use for one with pen support and a regular clamshell (non touch)

10. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mines just arrived after going missing for a few days, Dell and the freight company couldn't locate it and were about to send a replacement when it just arrived in the local depot. Weird!

Turned it on, updated the BIOS to the latest version then shut it down then charge the battery fully. Next, going to install the Ballistix Ram, Samsung 960 Pro and the Intel 9260 wireless card. I have the little aluminium heatsinks and cooling pad ready and most likely going to use @Eason 's and @custom90gt 's excellent guides and advice to try and stop it throttling and get rid of some of the heat build up to the aluminium back cover.

With the 56wHr battery it only comes with the metal 2.5" HDD caddy, glad I ordered the rubber grommets and hard drive to MOBO cable for a secondary drive (when that arrives).

Clean Windows 10 install next then shut down all the telemetry stuff using O&O Shut UP 10!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    pressing and Eason like this.