XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    I have a thermal thread if you're interested in temps with undervolting and repasting or either one separately. I will be doing iunlock's mod today after testing padding the ram.

2. satysin

satysin Newbie

Reputations:
    Cheers, will check that out.

I'm not a PC gamer (if I were I would have gone for a gaming laptop over the XPS) but I might load up a couple of games to try it out. Probably Skyrim and I might pick up Fallout 4 if I can get 1080p60 at High settings?

I have some GrizKryo from when I repasted my X1 Carbon 6th gen a couple of months ago but only saw a 1c drop in temps at load so it wasn't really work it. Of course that could be many things (i7 8550U not an i9-8950HK, Lenovo might have used decent paste as the application was decent to be fair, etc). Will probably see what my temps are on the 9570 before I bother taking the HS off to repaste. I have read the HS pipes are not super strong and you can bend them easily, is that still true on the 9570?

3. thomask39

thomask39 Newbie

Reputations:
    After having an awful experience with dead pixels, coil whine etc. on 2 9570s from Dell, I decided to place an order on HIDevolution instead. i7 + 32gb + 4k

Any advice from folks experienced with orders on HIDevolution?

pressing likes this.
  4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I didn't know HIDevolution were selling the XPS.

First off, all ultra thin laptops will have some level of coil whine. That is the nature of coils. So I am not sure if you can completely avoid that but maybe there are indeed virtually silent machines. Sometimes larger laptops will be quieter. Sometimes other settings, like disabling power savings schemes, might reduce coil whine. I suppose some systems are quieter than others. I have a fairly quiet 9550 and had a very noisy 9560.
    HIDevolution has a good service reputation over on the gaming laptop forums here at nbr; search the forums yourself as there are a ton of posts to form your own opinion.
    HIDevolution has a few premium options that I think are well worth the price and/or difficult to DIY. This is the added-value that a botique shop offers over a big store or dell.com so you should take advantage of the HIDevolution options where they make sense for you.

HID WARRANTY
    - These XPS laptops are pretty good machines but have a few quirks so I think this is a good place to invest. 4 year warranty for $300 guarantees you will not have a $2500 brick in 4 years. You get a bit of extra personalised service with HID team also. A lot of consumer goods warranties are a rip off; I think these XPS warranties are a good value.
    SCREEN
    - screen calibration at $50 is a no-brainer with these beautiful screens

- min backlight bleed option (the XPS screens seem to all have some level of bleed, so eliminate the chance of garbage screen here)

- 100% pixel guarantee - Dell will not typically replace a screen with just a few dead pixels; I don't know current policy. I think you can return a laptop from dell.com first 30 days for any reason but that is different from warranty. Dead pixels don't seem to be a huge issue for the XPS but there are dozens of dead pixel posts here (plus you have had the problem before).

TIM
    - Look at the thermal interface options. We don't have a lot of data with Conductonaut on the 9570 but we do with the 9560. As you will get a pro install, I think that is worth considering due to DIY risks and potentially high performance.

At least get the basic repaste as Dell factory paste has been terrible in the 6th, 7th and 8th gen XPS laptops. If you have experience or want to learn this can be a DIY project for about $20 and done in less than a day.

NIC
    - If you want the Intel card, have them install for $30 as that is a bit challenging for DIY and price is low.

RAM & SSD
    - Rather than play the Dell lottery and get stuck with a crappy SSD that you don't want and can't sell, get a big Samsung branded drive from HID Evolution. They are still the best.

CLEAN INSTALL OF WINDOZE
    - $15 is a good deal as this takes time, especially if you have never done that before. It is a good skill to learn so if you want to learn, bypass the option and study nbr. Probably takes 40 hours to learn how to do it and there are plenty of guides here at nbr.

5. Swarleyy

Swarleyy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, i have this issue with my dell XPS 9570/i7/4k, undervolted to about -100v-ish. I noticed that when i was playing D3 with the laptop plugged in, it was using battery power instead of the AC (battery went down to like 34%). I just quickly noted the temp which was about 60C then i checked the battery health on BIOS whch was fine (96.6%).

Is this an issue with the other laptops as well or is mine just defective? I feel like this laptop should be able to handle a couple hours of light gaming..right?

6. lefti696

lefti696 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm still waiting for mine but I don't think its an issue with other laptops (despite Microsoft Surface ones ;) )

7. John Manuel Costas

John Manuel Costas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just ordered my 9570 from Dell last night. I ended up spending around 1950 with tax for the 4k model with the base config, 256, i7, 16gb ram. I did a lot of back and forth with them on the phone discounting it. I threw in 3 years of their onsite warranty. I don't know if this is a fumble on my part, but it seems the issue with Dell is mailing things in to fix. I was thinking about HID evolution but with their warranty I was looking at 2350 before tax so I really don't know the move here. That does include their repaste, the intel card , and calibration though so that's 100$ right there. The delivery date is so far off that I do have some time to think this through a bit more. Thanks for this thread, tons and tons of info.

8. John Manuel Costas

John Manuel Costas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also to add, I am decently savvy at taking things apart. I can definitely do the re-paste myself, also upgrade my ssd eventually and do the wifi card. Will this eff up my warranty? I feel like it has to, and if I did that then maybe it makes sense to get no warranty with dell? This is my first windows laptop since my E Machines laptop back in 2004, which was a rebranded Gateway lol. I build custom pcs since, but have used macbook pros as my laptops for a good part of a decade.

9. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    Warranty wise you're fine so long as you don't destroy the laptop when repasting. The three years onsite is a good upgrade to have.

10. seiyafan

seiyafan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does the laptop with M.2 drive come with a cooling pad? Because mine came with HDD, I wonder if the 970 Evo needs to have a cooling pad.