XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The i7 already power throttles down when doing intensive tasks. The i9 will do the same and likely to the same clock speeds. Even with a repaste and good undervolt I can hardly get 3.4GHz all core speeds out of my i7, an i9 won't be hitting much more than that.

2. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's with the CPU alone running Prime95 or such (possibly with undervolt and repaste), or just with the GPU busy at once? Mind some care for the CPU-only clock for work and don't mind disabling turbo boost when switching to the game scenatio.

3. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Have a read in the 9570 temps and benchmark thread.

After an undervolt and repaste I could barely run at max turbo speed with prime95. With the GPU busy there is no hope for a 6core in the xps.

4. spliffstar

spliffstar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks for the clarification... if any one gets the 2Tb Pcie let us know the branding of that drive thanks

5. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Regardless of the size, Dell isn't super concerned with a standardized SSD. Just because someone gets something doesn't mean you will. Good chance yes, but not enough to bet on.

6. seiyafan

seiyafan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Today after the laptop waking up from sleep, it couldn't find internal speakers as if the drivers were not installed. Restarted and worked again, very weird as I have not seen that from other laptops I owned before.

7. lugiank

lugiank Newbie

Reputations:
  8. vCanalla

vCanalla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can definitely confirm Forcing S3 sleep in BIOS created some oddities, including quick black screens and horizontal line artifacts during youtube videos in black scenes. I've since checked it back to "OS Selected" and its gone away. Very odd. Might need to look into how to force S3 sleep in Windows itself.

9. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    did you try csenabled=0 in regedit? I have not yet.

10. satysin

satysin Newbie

Reputations:
    My 9570 (8950HK, 4K, 32GB, 1TB (970 EVO, self upgrade) should arrive tomorrow. Other than the obvious tests (screen, ports, keyboard, coil whine, fans, audio static, etc.) what should I check for?

I am thinking of doing a repaste but not sure if it is really worth it. Seems undervolting will be enough. I am not exactly a super heavy user so won't be stressing the CPU much with video encoding, etc. just some large-ish compilations but nothing more than a couple of minutes at most. What about putting some thermal pads on the VRMs? Worth it or again a bit of a waste of time?

Anything else I should be aware of? Seems for the most part Dell have done an alright job at fixing coil whine and not many people are having major issues (just the ones who have are quite vocal ;)). The new screens seem to be quite good with no stuck/dead pixels and average-to-better-than-average backlight bleed.