XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. DaBears92

DaBears92 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The version I'm looking at is only available with the 1TB, or for $343 I can upgrade to the 2TB.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you're not getting an i9 (I sure as heck wouldn't) then it would be cheaper to get the cheapest one with the screen you want and upgrade the ram/drive yourself. But I realize that's not for everyone.

If you are getting the i9, you should see my thread on throttling before you do. Spoiler alert, your i9 won't run faster than my i7 at demanding tasks due to power limit throttling followed closely by thermal throttling if you're not willing to repaste/undervolt.

3. pkincy

pkincy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can find nothing about Bitlocker in my manual but the OS drive appears to have a bitlocker partition. I have Win 10 Home which I also thought did not support bitlocker. I am a bit puzzled. Anyone know the facts?

4. vCanalla

vCanalla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am getting some really bad power drain in sleep mode when the lid is closed and the shell is slightly warm to the touch (as if it's been on).
    only
    What can I do to troubleshoot this? I didn't have this problem until recently. The odd thing is event viewer shows only two kernal power events: when I closed the lid and when I opened.

But, within 2 hours, I've drained about 13%. This is what I see:

The system is entering connected standby
    Reason: Lid.

The system is exiting connected standby
    Reason: Lid.

But, between those 2 periods, I see application doing work, such as this:

Connection to Microsoft Exchange has been restored.

svchost (3832,G,98) The beta feature EseDiskFlushConsistency is enabled in ESENT due to the beta site mode settings 0x800000.

Why are thing during work during sleep? I did set up outlook recently and wondering if it's that

EDIT:

this is all my battery report says

08:03:15 Connected standby Battery 100 % 87,438 mWh
    08:03:24 Active Battery 100 % 87,438 mWh
    08:15:19 Connected standby Battery 98 % 86,081 mWh
    10:56:43 Active Battery 87 % 75,856 mWh

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The XPS sleep has been a bit wonky and you will see a few people had thermal events leaving the 9550 or 9560 in their backpacks.

So I just don't use the sleep mode

6. Fatmatt5

Fatmatt5 Newbie

Reputations:
    @Eason in your ultrabookreview.com review you mention switching to AHCI when you swapped the SSD. Is that something that windows 10 can detect automatically upon installation of an SSD that operates better in AHCI, or does it just need to be changed in bios? Anything else involved with that switch?

7. vCanalla

vCanalla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What I've done is I've forced S3 sleep in the bios. Will report back.

8. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Connected standby is just a piece of **** and I suggest turning it off in BIOS. I noticed black screen flashes after doing this and I didn't feel like troubleshooting, so I turned it back on -- but it might have been just me.

any SSD operates better in AHCI here because you aren't using RAID. AHCI allows the usage of specific drivers for your SSD brand. You need to schedule your laptop to reboot into safe mode before changing from RAID to AHCI, however; otherwise it will not install the necessary drivers and will BSOD at boot.

9. NMS

NMS Newbie

Reputations:
    Can 9570 drive external 4K@60Hz display with iGPU? Or it will automatically switch to dGPU?

10. spliffstar

spliffstar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    question to you im thinking of getting the i9 but in your post, I don't see any mention as to why the i9 won't yield better performance than an i7