XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I know my info is a bit fragmented, I work in a busy call center and do this stuff in my spare time between calls to keep busy. I am having to pull info from several sources spread across several days and bring it all together on short notice to give you all the most complete picture of what has been tried and confirmed thus far.

MY RESPONSES TO YOU:

1.) yes, this I know and concur is standard behavior

2.) I am doing much of this fully remote and relying on the patience of the person on the other end trying various test cases. For the most part his machine doesn't make it longer than 30 minutes most times if it is going to freeze, so we have been calling 1-3 hours of up time a relative success. However there was at least one test case we let it go overnight and it froze after several hours of up time. If I had physical possession of the machine I would do things my own way but I don't.

3.) I will work on pulling one from his machine.

4.) Setting NVMe Adaptive Link to "Lowest" has yielded the best power savings and C states in my experience.

5.) Not sure what you mean by "disabling C states is not an option"... there is a setting in BIOS to disable them at the BIOS level.

6.) One might think, however his old SSD exhibited the same behavior, so failed/failing SSD is highly unlikely imo.

7.) I don't think it is any of his PSUs for the fact that it happens on all 3: 1 - his Genuine Dell 130W barrel jack charger, 2 - the 240W external PSU that comes with the TB16 dock, 3- his 60W aftermarket (TB3 iirc) charger

8.) Failing / intermittent VRMs / Mosfets / motherboard have not been fully ruled out yet, but I would suspect them to consistently fail under heavy loads, which has not been the case... it tends to fail at or near idle... literally doing nothing just idling, or even something small like just streaming a YT video or doing light office type work

9.) We tried with Microsoft NVMe driver first and then with the Samsung NVMe driver... both have resulted in crashes.

2. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why did you change the NVMe link state, youre not allowed to do that with modern standby laptops. I asked a few questions and you didnt answer any of them. Who changed the link state and why and how, you cant do that normally via the energy profile, it is hidden normally with modern standby. Disabling the c states mostly could also be a workaround of it not triggering lower link states and somehow disconnecting the SSD. Tried to remove the SSD and check if all contacts are fine and insert it again, you said the issue happened with another SSD too?

What was the state of the laptop after a clean AHCI installation? Why did you bug around with it already after a clean installation like changing link state ect?

So the laptop also froze after clean installation and NOTHING changed NOTHING installed, no undervolt, no drivers ect?

3. lefti696

lefti696 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I followed this posts:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/asdr64/dell_xps_9570_new_realtek_high_definition_audio/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/bbpuwb/9570_no_audio_output_is_installed/
    https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-software
    And now audio works without any problem. Thank you very much for suggestions!

I have also found that generally usb hubs with embedded Ethernet port causes some computers to freeze. I guess I have to find any other workaround. But anyway, no need to update bios beyond 1.2.2 :)

4. dj045

dj045 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anybody getting battery drain on their Dell XPS 9570 when the machine is completely shutdown? (I'm 100% sure it's not in hibernate or standby mode)

5. Venom12

Venom12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

last week I had an accident with my xps 15. Liquid was spilled all over the laptop when it was running. When the liquid was spilled the screen went black. I immediately shut down the xps and let it dry for 48 h. Unfortunately this did not happen at home, so I did not have the tools with me to open up the xps right away. Two days later I opened up the laptop and checked for remaining liquid. Removed the fans, heat sink and mainboard. I did not find any liquid. Only two places looked like something crystallized there. This spots I cleaned with rubbing alcohol. After I put everything back together I dared to try to start up the xps again. It booted up normally an I thought I got lucky. Did some testing and everything seemed ok. Until I tried to start a game. There I realized that the game did not run as usual. After some additional checks I found out that the Nvidia 1050 is not recognized by the system (does not show up in the device manager). A Diagnosis in the boot menue did not reveal any problems. So I guess the GTX 1050 probably died when the screen went black after the liquid was spilled.
    So now I am thinking about my options. Is there anything I could try to revive the 1050?

I am also wondering about a replacement mainboard. I have the i5 mainboard. Is it possible to also use the i7 mainboard as a replacement part?
    Or maybe even the 7590 i7? Is it possible to get replacement mainboards directly from dell?
    Does it make sense at all to try to to get a replacement mainboard or are they so expensive that a new 7590 makes more sense than trying to get a replacement?

Hopefully someone has some good ideas.

6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, you can watch videos from Louis Rossmann for DIY general laptop water damage repair tips. You really need to go over the board with a good loop or microscope else it is easy to miss damage. Some of those soldier joints might need touch up. Some of the components might be damaged. And it is difficult to assess any downstream damage without schematics. I suppose you could test some of the components in the damaged area on the board (and some might need to be removed) but then you have the challenge of determining and sourcing replacement parts. And getting SMD tools. If the GPU contacts were damaged, I don't see how that could be reballed DIY. There is a possibility the GPU is fried also.

There is a repair shop in Germany referenced in these forums a few months ago to consider if you are in Europe. This guy in California seems to repair several XPS models

Motherboards pop up on eBay but the quality will be "haphazard". Below is a US shop with a deep Dell parts catalogue. Either way, at these prices you might consider a new laptop.
    https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=143&subid=1201&refine=motherboard

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  7. Venom12

Venom12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks pressing for the reply.
    Do you happen to have the link to that german repair shop?

8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No but if you search the XPS forums here there were posts in the last ~6 months with the details.

9. Chang_loo

Chang_loo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  10. ElDiablo

ElDiablo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does the latest BIOS still stop undervolting?