XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @abujafar Just download the Windows 10 media creation tool in your language from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (the second one not first), run and you can click update. It will roll back as usual without asking to an old Intel iGPU driver, make sure to update afterwards to latest one from Intel. The "old" adjustable brightness bug is back again, and it just auto adjusts brightness when you switch from battery to AC and vice versa, and you have to open Intel tool and toggle on/off again. I just love it. I noticed the bug is finally fixed in 2004 it seems that when you right click on an EXE, that it triggers the dGPU.

Also download latest Nvidia preview driver ( https://developer.nvidia.com/search/site/NVidia 450.99 ) from their dev site, and you can enable this under 2004 (both Intel and Nvidia GPU driver need to be updated for this to show up under graphics settings and support WDDM 2.7):

[​IMG]

Be aware that right now it seems, there is no way anymore to revert back to S3, you will be stuck with modern standby on 2004. CsEnabled option was removed from registry, and has no effect anymore. Thank you Microsoft. How incompetent can you actually be? How does it even be, that there is still no GUI for modern standby in Windows 10, that you MAYBE can configure it somehow? Hey lets force everyone our never worked modern standby, and we wont give them any option to configure it, when it should wake up, what is allowed to wake up, how it behaves.

@erikjoya This laptop gets already slow without any monitors connected, just a few Chrome windows open. The UHD630 isnt made for 4k.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  2. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So, I stupidly updated to the latest BIOS. Dell and Windows update were both annoying the F out of me and tricked me into updating.

Does that mean my undervolt with throttlestop is null?

3. maffle

Reputations:
    I was just tired of Dell and also Microsoft, both forcing you into Modern Standby, which never worked, doesnt work, and will not ever work reliable, compared to 100% working and reliable S3 (suspend to RAM) sleep.

Dell removed, for NO REASON, the bios option on most of their laptops, to force S3 sleep. That was already a disgusting and incompetent move, however, the worst was yet to come: Up from Windows 10 2004, MS also removed the CsEnabled option from registry. You CANT revert back to S3 now anymore, and are stuck with bad modern standby, which is a ticking time bomb, can melt your laptop to death or drain your battery in 1-2 hours randomly. Or has just bad drain in general, compared to S3.

This guide is for 64bit laptops only. Also just for a normal Windows environment with no other boot manager being used other than the normal Windows boot manager. If you already have a dual boot environment, you have to replace your boot manager with reFind being used in this tutorial.

The following procedure should work on all 64bit laptops, and for people, who have the desire to get S3 sleep back on their laptop. Especially after Windows 10 2004, where MS removed the CsEnabled option from registry, and there is no way anymore, to get S3 sleep back on devices, which force a modern standby sleep, and have no manual option in bios, to force S3 sleep.

Credits for the patched reFind driver, which disables modern standby at boot time via editing the ACPI table go to: https://github.com/datasone

The patch is not permanent, and is being applied for every boot, when reFind loads, so it is easy to revert back to modern standy, by just reverting back to the normal Windows boot manager or by removing the AcpiPatcher.efi in the refind\drivers_x64 directory.

Doing the following is at your own risk. Be aware, if you use Windows Bitlocker, you may have to disable Bitlocker before you mount the EFI partition. It is straightforward and should work normally, if you do it correctly though. I tested this on my own Dell XPS 15 9570 with bios 1.16.2 and Windows 10 2004.

How to install reFind boot manager:
    1. Disable "secure boot" in your bios
    2. Download https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8mp4us0kgwtqfg/refind_fix.zip?dl=1
    3. Decompress refind_fix.zip to a folder for example C:\temp
    4. Open a cmd.exe command prompt as administrator
    5. Execute: mountvol S: /S (if you already use a drive S: use a different letter not in use)
    6. Execute: cd C:\temp (where you have the zip extracted so it contains the "refind" folder)
    7. Execute: xcopy /E refind S:\EFI\refind\
    8. Execute: cd S:\EFI\refind
    9. Execute: bcdedit /set "{bootmgr}" path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi
    10. (optional) Execute: bcdedit /set "{bootmgr}" description "rEFInd boot manager"
    How to revert back to Windows boot manager:
    1. Open cmd.exe as administrator
    2. Execute: mountvol S: /S
    3. Execute: cd S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    4. Execute: bcdedit /set "{bootmgr}" path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
    5. (optional) Execute: bcdedit /set "{bootmgr}" description "Windows boot manager"
    6. (optional) Enable "secure boot" in your bios
    If all worked fine, and booting into Windows 10 again via reFind, doing a "powercfg /a" should tell you, that S3 is now back enabled.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Maleko48, splus, pilililo2 and 2 others like this.
  4. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If i leave the pc unnatended even for a little while (downloading, moving files on my hard drive) it blacks out. I have high performance profile enabled and every sleep timer set ro off. No screensaver not turning off monitor hard drive and going to sleep on batterry and when plugged in. Whats the matter

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

5. maffle

Reputations:
    Maleko48, splus, Trader05 and 6 others like this.
  6. pilililo2

pilililo2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, seems the only thing this update is gonna do is cripple the performance once more, and try to remove undervolting again.

Papusan, Vasudev and maffle like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Without undervolt my alienware will be roaring at 90C+. I'd rather have undervolt than superior security. I have disabled SGX which on most laptops are set to Enabled/SW Controlled.

Normimb and Papusan like this.
  8. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From the Reddit thread it looks like the BIOS update for XPS 9500 also contains Update for Intel Management Engine firmware and Embedded Controller Engine firmware. BIOS downgrade didn't help to boot their laptops, but the BIOS downgrade doesn't downgrade those 2 updates. So, it looks like those 2 things are to blame for the bad update of the XPS 9500.

However, our BIOS update doesn't contain any of those updates, at least in the list of BIOS update?
    Not saying those listed "fixes" are good though...

9. maffle

Reputations:
    I am not so sure, if Dell was just lazy for the changelog of the 9500 bios, and "ME update" is just the same as one of the above Intel CVEs, which has to be, because those mostly are fixed through ME update. Or at the time of 9500 bios release (when the changelog was written), there was still an NDA of the CVE.

10. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm just saying because that change is listed in the BIOS update changelog for the XPS 9500, but not for the 9570. But yes, can't be sure...