XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @therock003 launch price of the new 15" XPS is a total joke. 2100Euro for the 1080p model with 16GB, 512GB, i7... seriously? Maybe youd get 800-900Eur for your used 9570 if youre lucky.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  2. Denes888

Denes888 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just bought this laptop 2 weeks ago with 4k,16,512, i7 setup and 2,5 years NBD ProSupport for ~1200€ , and I think it was a pretty good value for it. So far, I downloaded the latest drivers with dell support assist (Bios version 1.15 luckily) , and I haven`t seen any issue which was mentioned in here earlier. It seems to me that the Dell XPS line need 1-1,5 year software optimization in order to have good functionality. Sound is perfect, no distortion or popping sounds, fantastic 4k display with very good battery life. No high idle consumption, no problem with undervolting, ThrottleStop works perfectly and no high consumption, after sleep/wake. I installed the Dell PremierColor app, where I can easily edit the color setup to sRGB and Rec709 which is perfect for Lightroom/Photoshop and Premiere Pro. Speed is very good, I can easily setup which apps should use the GTX 1050 Ti. I experienced some throttling while gaming, but I will do the repasting stuff and hopefully with that upgrade, I wont have this problem too. For me, it still crazy how good is this laptop. It would be different if I had that much problem as users who bought it at the release but buying it after 1 year was a very good choice.

I heard about the new bios which turns off the possibility of undervolting and I`m also lack of factory reset option in bios settings, so I wont upgrade it unless throttling is handled some other way.

I saw that in the US at Dell Refurb you can get a 7590 for around 1500 dollars this setup with 1650, but in Europe I think this is more expensive and also in a lot of country where dell refurb. is not available. So for the 4k setup I would say in europe 1100-1200€ is good price and for the FHD, I agree 800-900€ is ok.

I tought about getting the 7590 but in my country the upgrade would cost more then 300€ , and I only saw OLED version, which I dont want. On the other hand gaming would be better with the GTX 1650, but for me gaming is 2nd prio.
    The new Dell 9500 will be a great device, but the lack of USB-A and HDMI connections is totaly ridiculous (worst copy from apple) and also the new price is so high that it is no option for me.
    Other laptops like HP elitebook and Acer are not my taste, also throttling is worse. Lenovo design is old fashioned for me, also I dont like the touchpad area. MSI has some competition for the Dell XPS but from battery life,energy consumption and display perspective Dell is better. Razer is the real competition against Dell, but in my country Razer is much more expensive, and as I heard the support is totally bad. So for work/content creation/ gaming where I need good aftersale support, Dell is donimating. If they could just copy the cooling system from Razer and keep the external connections from 9570, that would be the dream device. Until then, for me the Dell 9570 is the best option.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
    pressing likes this.
  3. pilililo2

pilililo2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I checked before upgrading that I had the restore factory defaults option available in my BIOS, and since it was actually available, I went ahead and upgraded to 1.16.2 via LVFS, and as expected it broke undervolting, both from Windows and Linux, but the reset factory defaults did the trick. Its such a shame that this is the way "fixing" vulnerabilities is going. Its the same as if you execute someone with coronavirus just to say that "no one died of coronavirus yet". Killing undervolt to "fix" plundervolt is the same. Shame on Dell and Intel for this.

maffle likes this.
  4. maffle

Reputations:
    Just wanted to add, that CsEnabled is removed from latest Windows 10 2004. Adding the dword to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power doesnt do anything anymore. MS seems to have finally forced once and for all modern standby onto us without any way to revert back to S3! This is just purely disgusting. Windows 10 doesnt have a working standby mode now anymore, just hibernate. This is insane.

splus likes this.
  5. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think this kind of absolves Dell of their S3 sins - it was Microsoft's push all along to eliminate the S3.
    At least with the last few findings and BIOS updates the laptop should sleep better when on battery. It still doesn't really sleep when plugged in. Sometimes it does, but just for some time, and anything can wake it up... It sucks because I'd like it to sleep properly when it's plugged in as well.

_sem_, pressing and maffle like this.
  6. pilililo2

pilililo2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    At least S3 sleep has always worked correctly in Linux, however modern-standby is set by default as the sleep mode.

7. maffle

Reputations:
    @splus Yes, it doenst work when plugged in and wakes up all the time, fans spinning randomly on/off when plugged in and lid closed. Input supression is ignored when plugged in and lid closed. I own this laptop, I want to decide what it does and when. I want it to sleep 100% when lid is closed, regardless if on battery or plugged in.

_sem_ and splus like this.
  8. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @maffle how did you update? mine says

The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you’ll see the update available on this page. There’s nothing you need to do at this time.

maffle likes this.
  9. moodz

moodz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Go to microsoft site and download & install manually

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

10. erikjoya

erikjoya Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This laptop has a hard time driving 3 x 4k monitors. I find the animations a little choppy and it can easily choke up the integrated gpu. Everything in the laptop gets slow when I'm doing CAD works while sharing under microsoft teams. Never had an issue with my amd desktop.
    Moving on to the asus g14 and hoping for a much better experience

maffle likes this.