XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's a reddit thread (I think by @maffle ) with some more info about this:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/givczm/xps_15_9570_bios_1162_out_mostly_breaks_undervolt/

I found an advice there to turn off the option for encapsulated UEFI updates in the BIOS, under BIOS Security. That prevents Windows update from installing the BIOS update on its own.
    Also, there's Dell Update app, which can install the BIOS update. I'm not sure whether it does it on its own or just notifies you about the new BIOS update and you have to click to install it. I remember I had to explicitly click to install it.
    However, I think Dell Update recently installed some updates on its own, so I'm not sure whether it would install the new BIOS on its own or not.
    If you don't want to risk it then just uninstall Dell Update. However, I find it useful sometimes to install some new updates...

2. TheMightyShark

TheMightyShark Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, how do you test for stabiity when undervolting? I ened a reliable program considering that the XPS 15 is a laptop and not a PC.

3. moodz

moodz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can you provide me a list or examples of Ryzen laptops with 4K bezelless screen? I would kindly take a look at and maybe sell my 9570 as well....
    I'm tempted to buy the new XPS 17 but also tempted to move to AMD chips so looking for alternatives

Btw. Your input here is very much appreciated and big thanks for that!

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  4. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @moodz If a 4k display is a must have for you, I would maybe better look for a good 120/144Hz IPS 1080p panel for several reasons (ghosting, response time, better performance especially gaming), I have to disappoint you. There arent many models with a 4k option so far, but I am sure, they will come, it may take a while.

The Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 has a 4k option, which is also one of the best Ryzen4000 laptops so far you can buy right now at this point, it is very expensive though with the 4k option, around $2000-$2200. It would come with 4900HS, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM (for Intel you also just get around 2666 mostly), 1TB SSD and a RTX2060. Asus also has a time limited (I think for several months) deal with AMD to exclusively offer the 4900HS. The integrated Vega GPU is btw around 5-7 times faster than the potatoe Intel UHD630, and is already good for mild gaming under 1080p.

Lenovo is also bringing mostly in every product line Ryzen4000 laptops. There was a "killer deal" already happening over the past weeks, it is over now I think, where you could get a Ideapad 5 with amazing config (4600U, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, IPS small bezel panel, fingerprint sensor, wifi6, keyboard backlight, usbc charger, 70w battery, aluminum chassis) for around 500Euro, where it now costs around 700Euro with same config.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15772/new-lenovo-thinkpad-range-with-ryzen-4000-4000-pro-mobile

https://www.zdnet.com/article/lenov...4-e15-laptops-with-amd-ryzen-4000-processors/

Also the 14" model is now available too which looks great:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-500-series/IdeaPad-5-14ARE05/p/81YM0000US

Only "down side" for most people is (I dont care honestly for TB3), they wont come with ThunderBolt 3, if thats important to you, you have to wait for the next generations coming mostly next year (maybe? with TB3 or "USB4").

moodz likes this.
  5. moodz

moodz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I use my laptop for office work and photo editing. I need very good colour reproduction. I would not like to move back to regular screens. 4k itself is not a must.

And thanks for these recommendations, I will look these machines up!

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

6. maffle

Reputations:
    Youre right about the color accuracy is a problem, if you need it. I have no information if the 4k display of the Asus has 100% AdobeRGB. I would wait for some of the Lenovo models to be honest, I am sure they will give you a 4k option too.

moodz likes this.
  7. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @maffle

Have you noticed a performance regression with the news bios?

TS bench 1024-12Threds. I was getting around 99 sec. Now I get way more.

EDIT. I still have undervolt using the factory reset trick.

maffle likes this.
  8. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How much would a 9570 go for today in case i decode to sell and go for this years model

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

9. maffle

Reputations:
    @abujafar I just did a TS benchmark with 1024-12 and got this result:

[​IMG]

My undervolt settings are with current bios:

[​IMG]

I never did a TS benchmark before, so 99 seconds is normal I guess? I have spectrec and meltdown mitigations set to off. 0xCA is also a new microcode which was included in the new 1.16.2 bios.

Sadly it will fall now every day I guess, I would do it fast.

10. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Of course but do we have even a rough estimate on what price i should advertise. Also what the launching price of this years 15" model

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk