XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @splus I had access to a newer Ms Surface 7 Pro and noticed it came preconfigured with the two options I mentioned above, that was why I found out about this. Intel totally was no help at all about this, then I told them about the flags I found, and they were like "oh yes, that's kinda a secret and we are not allowed to talk about it, ask your OEM, they have to configure it" ...

So mine looks like this right now:

[​IMG]

splus and pressing like this.
  2. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Microsoft is trying to walk the Android path, thinking OEMs will do all the adjustments and set all the settings. But EOMs are totally clueless about anything software related, they just make the laptop, install Windows on it and repackage the drivers from other OEMs and call it a day.

maffle and pilililo2 like this.
  3. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, I decided today this is the last Dell product I'm ever buying! The fact that my laptop from 2018 cannot sleep correctly and I need to shut it off every time is more annoying than I ever thought it would be. Laptops from 1995 were able to do that, and it just amazes me the lack of care and support on Dell's end when these are known and widespread issues. It really, really sucks because I want to love this laptop.

Out of principle towards Dell's "grab the money and tell them to buy the next model that fixes the issue" tech support, my next laptop, and any future product is not going to be a Dell. Will look at other options in a few years.

You guys are great, though.

Hopefully AMD kicks Intels ass for the next few years and Intel comes back stronger than ever so that by the time I'm ready to purchase there are some stellar options. It feels like performance really hasn't improved much in 5-8 years. The last "HUGE" boost in performance from an Intel update was Sandy Bridge back in 2011.

pressing and maffle like this.
  4. maffle

Reputations:
    I am also thinking about if I should try to sell my 9570 right now and get a AMD Ryzen4000 laptop, which seems to be even better than we hoped it might get. It seems to be a beast in everything, not just performance, but also temperature and power consumption... and the integrated graphics also smokes the UHD630. Not sure if the Ryzen CPUs even support modern standby or would just come with good old S3. Even though I am sure, they wont have all the nasty bugs this laptop has. No Spectre, no Meltdown, no Plundervolt, incredible performance, great temperatures, low energy consumption, awesome iGPU performance, and and and.

JaTXaR, splus, pilililo2 and 3 others like this.
  5. maffle

Reputations:
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29530/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=126790

Unlocked drivers: We heard how much our users want the freedom to upgrade their systems to our regularly released generic graphics drivers and enable our latest game enhancements, feature updates, and fixes. As of this release, Intel Graphics DCH drivers are now unlocked to upgrade freely between Computer Manufacturer (OEM) drivers and the Intel generic graphics drivers on Download Center. Simply use the exe and enjoy the update on your 6th Generation Intel Processor platform or higher, and don’t worry about your OEM customizations--they remain intact with each upgrade and the OEMs can maintain customizations separately via Microsoft* Windows Update. See the Release Notes section *2 for important information about this update.

No more annoying "tricks" to remove Dell OEM iGPU driver and override with Intel ones.

splus, _sem_, abujafar and 2 others like this.
  6. maffle

Reputations:
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...n&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9570-laptop

-Firmware updates to address the Intel Security Advisories INTEL-SA-00289

Whos first to play the guinea pig, if you still can revert undervolt with the load bios factory settings trick?

@Papusan get your fingers ready, to include the XPS 9570 in your list of shame.

Also love this change:

-Fixed the issue where the touch screen functions when the system is on and the lid is closed.

Are they serious? After 2 years they notice this? This might also be a reason the laptop waking up from standby with lid closed! I HATE THIS COMPANY.

Edit: Ok so I jumped into the cold water. Undervolt IS GONE with this update! But the load bios "factory settings" trick still works, and gives back undervolt!

Edit: Someone on Reddit claims, his 9570 laptop is missing the restore factory settings in bios, there should be 4 points, he just has 3:

[​IMG]
    And the default load DOES NOT work and WONT give back undervolt!

I have no idea why this would be the case, mine still had 4 options including the factory restore.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    moodz, splus, Papusan and 1 other person like this.
  7. splus

Reputations:
    What do you mean undervolt is gone? Sorry, I don't get it. Do you mean undervolting with ThrottleStop doesn't work any more after this BIOS update? How could that even be possible? And what does restore BIOS defaults option have to do with it?

Yeah, the touchscreen issue is ridiculous. That's probably what was happening when the reason for exit from standby in powercfg /sleepstudy was listed as "user input"...

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    maffle likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    maffle and splus like this.
  9. splus

Reputations:
    maffle, Trader05 and Papusan like this.
  10. Lwii2boo

Lwii2boo Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm on the previous BIOS 1.15.0, I am not an expert but what would you suggest me to keep my undervolt settings and have overall good performance, stay on 1.15.0 ? Do I need to downgrade the BIOS ?

Actually, performances are good, I have just an issue with the fans which can suddenlly make some noise in light tasks (even with just Google Chrome on).
    Also, is there is a way to reduce fan speed when it comes to light gaming (Hearthstone for instance) to have a good balance between performance and low noise ?

Many thanks :)