XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can search the posts here as a few people tried motherboard swaps among the 9550-9560-9570 IIRC. I think the swaps were not simple drop ins.

There were a few panel changes in the series so that would be the first place to research.

Also the BIOS is pretty well locked down. Someone at NBR unlocked the BIOS of some older XPS models but I can't remember who and don't think that is public info.

2. SoulSlayerPT

SoulSlayerPT Newbie

Reputations:
    Well at least the connectors seems similar, but yes the BIOS may be a problem..

3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The actual panel part numbers are posted here for the different generations and screens. So you can search for those.

4. SoulSlayerPT

SoulSlayerPT Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry, didn't understood. What do you mean?

5. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey 9570 owner,

are there still some of you left? I just wanted to share a little hint, which some of you may find useful. Actually it will be useful for all laptops, which are crippled with modern standby.

Remember the talk we had some months ago, how the crappy 9570 would wake up from Bluetooth devices like mice and keyboards, even on battery and lid closed, and it could burn to death?

Well, after a very annoying and frustrating conversation I had with Intel, I found a solution for this issue, by myself.

MS actually secretly implemented a registry flag, you can set, that modern standby devices will ignore USB/Bluetooth HID input while being on battery and the lid is closed. This was just implemented in 1803, and was not documented so far.

Go to:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

And add:

dword32: EnableInputSuppression = 1
    dword32: LidNotifyReliable = 1 (seems to be optional)

Reboot.

This will just work for being on battery and lid is closed. Will not work on power cord / docked! But this will totally prevent laptop waking up, if you have a bluetooth mouse connected to it and carrying it around in your bags.

Isnt it awesome, how there is no GUI in Windows 10 to set things like this? After years and years and years... there are lots of other flags also in the power registry for modern standby, and most of them are undocumented. There is no way to find out, what they do, for example "DirectedDripsAction=2" which is set on a normal Windows 10 installation, but I have it not set on a Surface laptop of mine, and I don't have any way to find out what it does. Or "EventProcessorEnabled=1" and others, which arent documented anywhere.

A little plea to someone, who still has an original Dell installation of the 9570:
    Could you please screencap your "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power" and post it here, so there would be an OEM template, what Dell set as the default. But just if you still have the original Dell installation on your 9570, and didnt do a clean install!

The mentioned flag above I found by pure luke here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ettings/power-controls-enableinputsuppression The ironic thing is, that the documentation says that the default value would be 1, which isnt the case and seems to be a bug. It says:

Available in Windows 10, version 1803 and later versions of Windows.

NOTE: For versions of Windows earlier than 1903, the default was 0 (disable input suppression).

So mostly if you installed before 1903, and upgraded to 1903 over time, this will be off! Even if not set.

I found the values because I compared a new Surface 7 Pro I had access to, where the registry values were set, and then found out, they were missing on my 9570.

There is also the dword32 EnforceDisconnectedStandby = 1 you can set btw, which always foces disconnected standby mode of modern standby (just means wifi off, not bluetooth), while on battery and lid is closed. This was what the "awesome Dell modern standby update" did btw, nothing more. This flag was also secretly implemented by MS some time ago.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Maleko48, abujafar, splus and 3 others like this.
  6. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This gave me an idea to try something on a Win10 tablet that i got, in which i connect GPS via bluetooth and it keeps polling the device and i cannot put it to sleep. Tried adding the entries above but didnt work for this...

BTW what do you mean by original installation. I got mine last year and as far as i recall i must have not made any windows installation updates and BIOS updates

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

7. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi guys, my son's XPS 15 9570 has been very slow, games freeze, and even browsing just stops intermittently. He is working from home and I have very limited access to his laptop but I managed to do some checks. I opened it, repasted it and repadded it, cleaned the dust and the fluff.

Did virus check - all clean.

I am aware we may simply need to re-install Windows.

However I installed Intel-XTU to see what's what and there's something weird. As the photo shows we consistently get "Current/EDP Limit Throttling", we increased current limit but it just keeps doing it. There's only 10W TDP and the frequency seems to be at 3.4GHz steady, so maybe this is not a real throttle, but an artefact and I should ignore it?

Also on the event viewer I spotted a funny message, but only at one time, but for may processors.

The speed of processor 7 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 47 seconds since the last report.

Attached Files:

Maleko48 likes this.
  8. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @therock003 Like I said, this only works for HID (human interface device, keyboard, mice, gamepads) events, no other bluetooth devices. Original installation aka how it came from Dell with Dells registry configurations (if there were any), which are erased when you do a clean install obviously.

9. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is a VERY useful discovery! You need to post this all over the internet.
    Well, nobody's going out anywhere these days, but still... This was one of the biggest issues with this, and many other laptops.

Whenever I checked the powercfg /sleepstudy log when my laptop went out of sleep on its own, every single time the reason was the keyboard input. Which was, of course, impossible, because the lid was closed and the laptop was just sitting on a desk.
    So, if this registry entry fixes this problem, it's a huge deal. Thanks @maffle!

maffle likes this.
  10. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here's the screenshot of my "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power" regedit settings. I bought my laptop in July 2018 and have kept the original Dell installation. Not sure if Microsoft and Dell updates made any changes...

Attached Files:

maffle likes this.