XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. klausj

klausj Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am getting my XPS15 soon and have already bought an upgrade M.2 NVMe (512GB => 1TB).

What is the best way to go about cloning the internal drive onto the new larger drive? Do I buy an external USB case for the M.2 NVMe, connected to USB3 - and use some kind of software to clone (which?)? Or is there another, easier way?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  2. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just noticed today, that the 9570 is again bugged of its CPUs package c states, after latest bios 1.14.0 or yesterdays Windows 10 update. I guess since bios 1.14 though. I cant confirm it because I just noticed it 20 minutes ago after a fresh Windows 10 restart.

[​IMG]

The CPU has no c states entered and uses a permant 2W even with idle and 0.7% C0% activity. This goes away after triggering modern standby at least once and waking up the laptop again:

[​IMG]

The wake up procedure doesnt always work and I have to do it sometimes up to 3 times, to trigger working c states again.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    pressing likes this.
  3. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @maffle - I've had this issue since the beginning with my XPS on every BIOS, and even with a Yoga laptop with S3 sleep before that for some years.
    I literally had to put the laptop to sleep every time for 10 sec after every reboot.
    For me this trick always work if I let it sleep for at least some 10 sec. XPS needs longer time to go to sleep/standby, I just watch when the keyboard backlight goes off and then wait 10 sec to wake it up again.

I was always wondering what this could be if this doesn't happen to everyone - maybe it's some program or driver that does it? I've had this issue for years with the Yoga laptop as well, so it could very well be some program that messes it up.

pressing likes this.
  4. maffle

Reputations:
    @splus Thats weird... I just have this broken behavior since bios 1.14.0 or the Windows 10 updates from Tuesday of this week, because I rebooted the laptop for them. I didnt update any drivers in weeks nor did I install any tools or programs. This broken behavior just manifested during the last 2 weeks where I updated to 1.14.0. And now it is broken after every reboot or cold boot.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    See my edit in TS thread on your post.... http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-1077#post-10974827

maffle likes this.
  6. maffle

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.
  7. pilililo2

pilililo2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For some reason this is happening now on linux too on bios 1.14... jesus christ how can they keep ****ing up so bad time after time... Now my laptop consumes 7-10W idle instad of the 3-4W it was consuming before the bios update.

maffle likes this.
  8. pilililo2

Reputations:
    maffle likes this.
  9. maffle

Reputations:
    @pilililo2 ... @Papusan I knew it. Mostly the Power Delivery firmware or the EC firmware, which wont get downgraded if you do a bios downgrade. Or a modified Intel microcode (Intel messed something up maybe too, wouldnt surprise me). Please open a bug report ticket at Dell about this, as I did too. And tell them directly, about other people having the same issue, give them the link to this post. I doubt they will be any help though as usual. Dell cares... right? Right...

pilililo2, pressing and Papusan like this.
  10. pilililo2

Reputations:
    maffle likes this.