XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. micmex

micmex Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anybody installed the updated "Modern Standby Performance Improvement Package Application" does it improve performance?

2. klausj

klausj Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. JaTXaR

JaTXaR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would say from that TB16 dock you could connect 2 x 1440p monitors based of the info on it - "the ability to connect up to three FHD displays, two 4K displays, or one 5K display at 60Hz". You should be able to connect a 3rd using the HDMI port on the laptop but that is not exactly what you are after (2 cables out of the laptop). Here is more info from someone else with a similar idea:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/...ys-Laptop-Display-in-Extend-Mode/td-p/7327375

If you went with 3 x 1080p monitors (assuming you don't have the 1440p monitors already) then you could just do it via the TB16 dock.

I know there was issues with the Dell TB docks initially but hopefully those issues have been resolved by now with firmware updates on TB + Laptop. Be worth doing some reading through this thread and others.

4. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Can someone tell me how i can get rhe best gaming results using this laptop. O know its not this type of laptop but ill take what i can get.

Looking for throttling advice fan curves various tweaks whatever can squeaze out the best overall performance

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

5. JaTXaR

Reputations:
    This may or may not help but I use an EGPU (Aorus Gaming Box 1080) and connect it via TB3 for gaming and it performs very nicely. Play many games in 4K on TV.

Using just the laptop you are going to be somewhat limited to less GPU intensive games @ 1080p and maybe medium settings. I can't quote any numbers here as I don't use it for gaming that way. I have my DGPU disabled so it doesn't produce any heat.

I would also suggest undervolting the CPU with Throttlestop.

6. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanx man but i already got a strong gaming pc with 1080ti. I need the laptop for portability and carrying a dock is a bad idea for my intended use so i git to make due with what i got.

Already use throttlestop with recommended settings ive found online but i dont feel like im getting better results. Isnt there something more drastic to help things

7. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I want to ask whats been bugging my mind fot a long time now. How does throttling affect games. I mean ok i get it cpu runs hot it clocks back to stock to get cooler so performance drops down or you undervolt it so it can keep turbo clocks without possibly heating up. But...

Games are supposed to be gpu intensive most of them. Except online gaming or single games with lots of AI enemies.

If gpu is getting all the stress how does cpu run hot and underperforms. Moreover if cpu underpermors and sends "x" amount of information to the gpu how can a different gpu run better if it gets the same information? I mean how can an egpu with a stronger card than the 1050ti max q run better when it receives same data from the throttled cpu?

P.s. i am using throttlestoo and i dont feel like its doing much. Its either that or 1050ti cant handle 1080p on high I guess

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  8. JaTXaR

Reputations:
    The only things I can think of are repaste the CPU (or apply Liquid Metal if you are comfortable with that), apply thermal pads to VRAM and elevate your laptop with a stand or a laptop cooling pad to allow for better airflow. I use this stand and it works well:

https://www.amazon.com/Steklo-MacBo...ments=p_89:Steklo&rnid=2528832011&s=pc&sr=1-1

9. JaTXaR

Reputations:
    CPU reaches throttle limits, CPU throttles to keep cool and consequently FPS drop in games.

Games use GPU and CPU. Depending on the title some are more CPU or GPU intensive.

Firstly you need to understand that the DGPU (Nvidia 1050Ti) inside your laptop is in close proximity to the CPU and hence when they both get busy together they crank up heat in a confined space which leads to throttling quickly. An EGPU on the other hand is an external box to the laptop so all the heat is dispersing in the room and not inside the laptop. As a result my DGPU is disabled so no heat provided from it and only my CPU generates heat. Due to this and thermal padding the PCH (Dell didn't apply any cooling to this in XPS 9570 for some odd reason) I don't get thermal throttling. Heat = performance killer if not thermally managed. My 1080 EGPU destroys my 1050ti. I can play games on my EGPU connected to my 4K TV at full res comfortably. Some settings have to be turned down but still it looks sweet in 4K. Playing 4K games on my 1050Ti is not possible.

10. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanx this cleared things up. Im running afterburner to monitor games and teeak settings. I also wanted to do what the limits toggle in the OSD means for voltage and power and how it gets the value.

Im almost constantly hitting both voltage temp and power limits at the same time it seems.