XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. Jff007

Jff007 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nope, no typos. After it said it was finding unexpected data, it changed the 0x2 to 0x02. That's when I started sweating, haha.
    That pricing is nuts, and why I chose to go with 3200 instead. Picked up a 32GB Ripjaws for about $125 (that's 115€-ish I think?).
    The PCH one might be useful for eGPU usage actually, since the PCH can greatly affect the link speed.

To verify lanes, download GPU-z. Then go to advanced and it should show how many there.

2. Yesusik

Yesusik Newbie

Reputations:
    OK... so I was just lucky that it started to work for me? :eek:
    And did you verifed your IFR text file... you have "Memory Overclocking Menu" with "DIMM profile" setting on that same position as mine?
    Maybe try in EFI command just "setup_var 0x7C7" without "0x2" at the end - if I'm correct, this should return your courrent setting.

Hmm... I don't see nothing about lens in Advance tab... but on main tab there is a "Bus Interface" where it stnad for "PCIe x16 3.0 @ x4 3.0" - this mean that same?

3. Jff007

Jff007 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It may have been a brain fart moment on my end, and I just didn't set up everything correctly. Haven't messed with it in a long time. My IFR had it all exactly the same. I'll definitely check that first on my next swing. Just need to have the free time to take the laptop apart again just in case, since Dell put the CMOS battery in the most inconvenient spot...

That should be the same? I can't remember that exactly though. Another way to check is with HWInfo, go to the summary info, open the bus section, then PCI bus. It should say how many lanes there.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Yesusik likes this.
  4. Yesusik

Yesusik Newbie

Reputations:
    I checked yesterday HWiNFO and it confirmed same x4 lanes used by TB (what is okay I think, yes?)... but also I noticed that Speed Shift is not activated - I was sure that I changed this together with activating XMP but clearly I forgot ;) So I boot EFI Shell and I changed this SST to enabled. After that I run 3DMark and my result was significantly lower then the last time! :confused: I run benchmark again and now I watched on current CPU clock and core temps... I was in shock! :eek: Throttling was back!!! :mad::mad::mad: "Is it only because of Speed Shift?" - I thought and I run EFI Shell again to disable it. YES, without SST I don't have any throttling and my notebook is faster! o_O LOL :cool:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    pressing likes this.
  5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Speedshift gives you good control of laptop CPU. But you need to manually adjust the EPP (0 max performance and 255 max energy savings). The dropdowns in Windows Power Options do nothing on my XPS laptops but maybe they work on yours. You can confirm EPP setting via:

powercfg -qh >C:\report.txt

ThrottleStop is an easy and free tool to adjust EPP on the fly.

More info at

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-speed-shift.796891/

Jff007 likes this.
  6. Lwii2boo

Lwii2boo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I would like to pay an USB-C charger for my XPS. (The other port is physically damaged)
    What are the fastest option for the XPS ? I have heard that it can't charge as quick as MBPro. Can we exploit a charger that has over 60W in usb-C with this XPS ?
    Which charger should I buy ?
    Is this one USB-C 60W enough or do I need more power ? https://www.amazon.fr/AUKEY-Chargeu...eywords=anker+60w+usb-c&qid=1571251829&sr=8-3

thanks a lot!

7. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try the Dell 130W USB-C. This is over USB PD standard (max 100W).
    60W means heavy throttling for the XPS 15.

8. klausj

klausj Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys! My 3-4 year old trusty XPS13 has served me very well, but I need a new, stronger workhorse - and I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a Dell XPS 7590 15 with OLED screen, but I have not been able to find solid information on the actual battery life - and it might be the deciding factor.

I already know FHD equals better battery life, but I need more information to make the trade-off. Also - it seems that if I do want 32GB RAM and i9, I don't have a choice anyway. :)

What kind of actual, real-world battery life are you seeing on your Dell XPS 15 with OLED - and what kind of work do you do on it (demanding, not demanding)?

I will be doing software development with Visual Studio (and resharper - the cpu-killer), running a database server, an infinite number of open chrome windows etc etc - and it is absolutely killing my XPS13, mostly due to having just 8GB RAM.

This is the spec I am considering:

XPS 15 7590
    15.6" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) OLED Infinity Edge Anti-Reflective Non-Touch 100% DCI-P3 400-Nits display
    9th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-9980HK (16MB Cache, up to 5.0 GHz, 8 cores)
    32GB DDR4-2666MHz, 2x16G
    1TB M.2 PCIe NV Me SSD
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5

9. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Go with the FHD if battery life matters. The UHD is nice but IMHO FHD is good enough on 15", while there is much more use for 4K in an external 30" ;)
    The i9 might have a slight advantage in benchmarks and short burst workloads. But I think it doesn't really make sense for any serious workloads, because cooling in the XPS 15 (and most similar thin laptops) is simply inadequate. Just take an i7, or look for an i9 laptop with half a kg more heatpipes and fins.
    If there is no 32GB FHD model, you can still add RAM, even 64GB https://old.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/antbu2/xps15_9560_upgraded_to_64gb_ram/ (not sure if this makes battery life worse).

10. klausj

klausj Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice. I did some more research on what you said - and you are right. So I will go for a 16GB FHD 512GB i7 and upgrade M.2 and RAM - and end up paying a lot less even. Thanks! :)