XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    How to use WUB

As well use O&O Shutup10 and WPD.

Download any patches later as standalone and install in offline with Network disabled.

2. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can also use a Microsoft program called Windows Update Show/Hide to block updates until you are ready to install them. It is available on the Microsoft website. A link to the download is contained in this article.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo

3. Papusan

Reputations:
    Her is another tool that should work...
    StopUpdates10 — New tool to stop Windows Updates +++ (Only disadvantage... It has to run in the background).

I don't trust Micro$oft own tools intended to stopp their madness.

See....

Microsoft’s propensity to forget its own settings
    On three separate occasions in the past couple of years — in November 2017, January 2018, and March 2018 — Microsoft forcibly upgraded Windows 10 Pro machines that have Advanced Options set to defer upgrades. Microsoft has, in effect, ignored its own settings. You can think of these incidents as accidents, or the result of overworked or overly zealous individuals. I, for one, am not so magnanimous.

These aren’t fly-by-night reports, or wails of pain from users who forgot to turn something on or off. All three have been documented by Microsoft as being Microsoft mistakes, in nooks and crannies of its various posts.

Oddly, it seems that the metered connection trick kept working in the face of all of those “oopsies.” You may well want to set your internet connection to metered, even if you use Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise or Education. Belt and suspenders and all that.

Microsoft’s official back door: The last, and most nefarious of the three “oops” events involves a, uh, feature called Update Assistant and its executioner program, updateassistant.exe. The poorly documented Update Assistant has been around for a long time, but its intrusive nature came to light when it started (erroneously, according to Microsoft) ignoring the Windows Update settings that were supposed to block installation of the next version of Windows 10.

Update Assistant has evolved. You may have seen KB 4023057, the “Update to Windows 10 Versions 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709 and 1803 for update reliability,” which has been released and re-re-re-released dozens of times (see Rick Corbett’s description). This “Remediation Shell” (formerly “WaaSMedic”) patch is intended to (in the words of abbodi86):

Fix and reset Windows Update-related parts to their “supported” configuration, i.e. restore registry settings, services status, schedule tasks, clear disk space, and launch UpdateAssistant.exe if installed. Mainly it’s meant to pave the way to receive the latest updates, whether quality updates, or feature update to latest Windows 10 version… it evolved from just fixing the Registry to restoring tasks and fixing the drivers DB, and compatibility for UAC management.. the main purpose or function did not change: re-allow blocked or disabled Windows Update.
    Microsoft’s so gung-ho on blasting away your Windows Update blocks that it’s set up a regimen worthy of the finest malware. Of course, from Microsoft’s point of view they’re simply correcting any bugs that may have been introduced in the upgrade process. Defeating those who actively block the upgrade is just a bit of fortuitous collateral damage.

pilililo2 likes this.
  4. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dell postet another bios 1.13 https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...0&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9570-laptop

with changes: "Enhanced the thermal stability of the system"

This smells like the EOL coffin nail Dell wants to put on the 9570. throttling it to its death. I wont test it this time. Anyone?

It is disgusting they dont say anything in the changelogs, if they say "enhance" together with "thermals" they mean "throttle" 100%.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 5:13 PM
    pressing, pilililo2 and Papusan like this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Maybe posts in Reddit. Probably many guinea pigs who will test it for you:D Please post results if you get what you want.

maffle likes this.
  6. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    pressing likes this.
  7. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    While Microsoft may not be my favorite company, I trust Microsoft more than I trust downloading and installing an app/software from someone that I know nothing about.

8. Yesusik

Yesusik Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm wondering... anyone tried to activate XMP for RAM on 9570 to get higher speed's (over 2666MHz?) as I did on my 9560 (successful 3000MHz)? :rolleyes:
    XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

9. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Yesusik how did you do that? did they add a switch in the Bios?

pressing likes this.