XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ... Frank Azor Joins AMD As Chief Gaming Officer ... oh he now trys to ruin AMD Kappa

Papusan, Ultra Male and pressing like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Its just AMD gaming so it includes eGPU+CPU+GPU+Xbox+PS5 etc....
    If AMD CEO is smart the damage will be limited.

3. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Someone should tell AMD that it might not be a good hit to buy in Frank. I cant think of someone being worse in that position.

4. deepred

deepred Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tested the new BIOS version 1.11.2 on a Precision 5530 and my experience was somewhat different. I haven't noticed increased thermals and/or noise, but stability wise it's seems like a regression. My PC crashed twice during a day with same symptoms. Basically, both built-in and external display start flickering or immediately go blank, fans spin up to the maximum RPM and, in a few seconds, the laptop becomes completely unresponsive (had to use power button). When it happened I had a couple of browser windows open with few tabs each and a couple of VMs running in background. I checked BIOS logs but found nothing apart from a successful firmware update message. After the reboot the built-in display was still flickering. In the end, reverting to version 1.10.1 resolved those issues.

5. Lwii2boo

Lwii2boo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys,
    I have an issue I did not have at all 2 weeks ago. I have a XPS 15 9570 since summer 2018.

The issue is when I'm gaming usually i can multitask with Chrome or Firefox easily. Now, I have an issue, when i do alt+tab to go to my internet browser, the browser is very slow to load anything. What is weird is my gaming performance are quite good, except when i go to my browser, then I need like 1 minutes to allow the PC to load the game at 60 fps. My computer reacts like the internet browser was extremely demending and impact other tasks. This happens only when i have a game loaded.

Fyi, I use Throttlestop with classic settings recommended by community. I did not change anything physicaly for thermal throttling and did not get any performance issue until this.
    I have latest BIOS and drivers suggested by Dell and Windows 10.

Do you think it is software or hardware ? What can I do to resolve this ?

Thanks a lot !

6. lefti696

lefti696 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    sounds like not enough ram. Check ram usage in task manager.

7. Lwii2boo

Lwii2boo Newbie

Reputations:
    I have 16 GB of RAM and i7 how can it be possible ? It is just gaming + browsing, no more
    It works perfectly for like 10 months and now this happens I hope there is no physical damage.
    I will check during my next gaming session, I would be surprised if it is the reason of the problem.

8. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have gaming mode on? Windows 10's gaming mode surpresses background activities to free up system resources for gaming. Might be that it suspends the browser in some way so that it needs to restart those activities whenever you alt-tab.

9. Sorgesana1

Sorgesana1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried to follow this video and solve some problems? Thank you

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Run Chkdsk /f /x on all volmes. Make sure battery cable is disconnected before proceeding. Do a power reset and wipe the gold contacts of RAM. Check page file amount in System Info > Advanced System settings.