XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, now my third (or maybe forth, have lost count) 9570 has broken down and this time I just refused another switch and has just had my cancellation approved. Now, back to the same question again on what to buy instead...

Must say that Dells customer service in Sweden is really amazing, has never been any whine or anything. If only their computers were as good.

Since I have a 9560 that I fortunately enough did never dare to sell that is my main driver for now. Will probably wait a while for refreshed models to be released from all major manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

maffle and pressing like this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @improwise you have been a trooper.

Maybe the updated XPS has some of the issues sorted out. That is 4th generation of this platform and the Skylake CPU so it should be. That said, the 9570 was 3rd generation of the XPS platform and Skylake CPU and had some issues.

I might wait until intel moves off the Skylake boat, which might be in another year or so. But then you are dealing with brand new XPS and CPU platforms so maybe give that some time to sort out lol.

I would consider another brand laptop also.

Vasudev and maffle like this.
  3. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I kinda feel like the rats are leaving the sinking ship and I will sink with the Titanic, because of being 3rd class. Aye.

4. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The irony is that the 9560 has been rock solid so far. And that is with the same OS installation as I just moved the SSD when firing my 9570 a week ago. And so far no sleep issues nor dead batteries.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

5. annabel_shanderin

annabel_shanderin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    New 11.2 bios up. Haven't got time to experiment at the moment, but would love to hear what the "enhancements to thermal management of the system" actually means... Also, if there's any improvement to DPC latency...

https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...y&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9570-laptop

Fixes & Enhancements
    Fixes:
    - Removed the pre-boot Intel RST Manager Optimized Defaults option.
    - Firmware updates to address security advisories INTEL-SA-00233(CVE-2018-12126, CVE-2018-12127, CVE-2018-12130 and CVE-2019-11091)
    - Firmware updates to address security advisory INTEL-SA-00213 (CVE-2019-0090, CVE-2019-0086, CVE-2019-0091, CVE-2019-0092, CVE-2019-0093, CVE-2019-0094, CVE-2019-0096, CVE-2019-0097, CVE-2019-0098, CVE-2019-0153 and CVE-2019-0170)

Enhancements:
    - Replaces Absolute Software service from Computrace to Absolute Persistence Module service
    - Updated the Realtek USB LAN UEFI driver to improve stability of connection.
    - Enhances thermal management of the system.

Vasudev, maffle and custom90gt like this.
  6. erikjoya

erikjoya Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    - Enhances thermal management of the system.

I just hope it doesn't mean "throttle further"

maffle likes this.
  7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    After the first year of driver & BIOS chaos and a repaste, my 9550 also has been rock-solid. Good DPC latency also. It took a lot of learning and effort to get to this point but it serves as a pretty good live music laptop. In fact, just yesterday I was thinking about how well the screen, keyboard, track pad, cables, case and carbon fibre have held up; essentially new condition.

Still has some quirks; the headphone out is wonky. Can't use sleep in a backpack. Likes to force driver updates.

I owned the 9560, which had similar DPC latency. For my purposes, it performed about the same as the 9550 so I just kept the 9550. With thermal mods, the 9560 can perform a bit better for some scenarios.

The 9570 does not interest me due to DPC issues and I am wary the 2019 replacement will have similar problems as this will be same chassis and same Skylake CPU. After 2020, Intel's 7nm with onboard ThunderBolt might provide a compelling performance boost for my usage scenarios.

8. maffle

Reputations:
    That totally smells like another epic fail. Anyone know any details so far? Just throttle it more now the new model comes out, and then never give any bios updates whatsoever anymore for it. What else should it be than throttle?

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/dell-xps-15-modern-standby-issues

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  9. maffle

Reputations:
    I did a quick test the last hour with this bios with a game, I was playing over the couple last days, so I knew the temperature and clock values, I monitored over the last days playing it. It totally seems to me, they changed the fan logic under stress (gaming)... for them now running at least at 1/3 or 1/2 of the speed (being more silent) and this results in a way higher temperatures. This is BAD!

I am using a 12W throttle on the CPU, a -112mV undervolt and a 0.875V undervolt on the dGPU, and now the temperatures rose to 77°C CPU and 72°C dGPU after just playing 5 minutes, where they were around 67°C and 66°C yesterday with the previous bios (and fans running higher). This could easily trigger the 74°C throttle of the dGPU. The boost waves of fan high/low/high/low while gaming also seem to be missing now or not so agressive anymore as before.

This is also just a really low load game, dGPU around 40%, and CPU 15%.

Totally no idea, who had the epic brain fart at Dell now to reduce the fans to make it run hotter and maybe throttle more, no one asked for this change.

No change for the short dGPU polls, fans triggered all the time for no reason.

idark77 likes this.
  10. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @Papusan What is Mr. Azor's team doing? :rolleyes: