XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. BeingMoreSnufkin

BeingMoreSnufkin Newbie

Reputations:
    That's scary. Isn't that normal use for a laptop?

Maybe the i9 processor makes things worse.

2. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @BeingMoreSnufkin

That looks more like impact damage than heat damage.

Nothing else inside or outside the laptop is melted or burnt and the area you squared isn't even the one that gets more toasty during stress tests.

Are you sure your son didn't drop the laptop or inadvertently hit the screen?

lefti696 and maffle like this.
  3. BeingMoreSnufkin

BeingMoreSnufkin Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, we're sure he didn't drop the laptop or inadvertently hit the screen. There's no evidence of it being dropped or hit.
    Bear in mind that the motherboard picture is not from our laptop. We haven't looked inside to see if anything else is damaged.

4. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The damage seems to be where the fan blows (in the gap between the body and the display, on both sides).
    Of course, this shouldn't happen in any case, and I don't recall something like this reported. Quite a few of hot bag reports, including my 9550 twice. But in most cases, hot bag may be already from the laptop mostly idling. It should get throttled down as it heats up.

5. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tell that Dell and MS. In my oppinion, Modern Standby is a total failure and dangerous on devices with that high TDP like a laptop with H CPUs and also dGPU. It is just made for phones and some tablets, but totally not for a 40-60W CPU and 70W dGPU. There is no gurantee modern standby works because it is software controlled and the software can crash/fail or just badly programmed.

Thats what I meant with the Kappa. The (current) 14nm i9 by Intel are also a total fail and dangerous inside laptops as I see it. At least in such small thin laptops like the XPS. And people are just stupid buying those laptops or just dont know better, what you can buy should work, right? And it is a total waste of money btw too.

Also does to me. I dont think a burn damage would look like that. I am not an expert though on forensic.

[​IMG]

What do you mean "there is no evidence" ... you mean you just have your sons word. I dont want to imply that he is lying to you, but maybe... there was just a little "accident" he maybe not even noticed himself. Like a pen left inside when he closed it or something else. Thinking back when I was young, I maybe would have been afraid of telling my Dad the truth when I did something bad and broke something expensive. Maybe hes just afraid of telling. Ask him again in a friendly way and tell him it wont be his fault and there are no consequences, if he did it by accident, it was an accident.

But yes, the 9570 totally can "burn to death" if modern standby breaks, for multiple reasons.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  6. BeingMoreSnufkin

BeingMoreSnufkin Newbie

Reputations:
    The damage is over the end of a heat pipe. The laptop was turned off, closed & in a backpack. If the end of that pipe was uppermost, the heat would rise & the pipe would absorb it, making it a hotspot. It's possible, of course, that the lcd unit was faulty anyway & the heat caused it to fail.

We have spoken to our son in a friendly way. He's not as young as you seem to think, works very hard & knows that he wouldn't be "in trouble" if the damage was as a result of an accident. Accidents happen & if that was the cause of the damage we would just take a deep breath & pay to have it repaired.

7. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sadly you cannot directly link the image when it's hosted on one drive (or I'd have to look into how to do it). You can always download the images and then host them on the forums so they show up in your post.

Having said that, the screen looks damaged from being physically damaged. Maybe it's hard to tell from the pictures, but to me it looks like something that was caused by improper care and not by "melting" to me. I'm not sure Dell is going to replace that under warranty unless you have accidental damage protection.

maffle and katalin_2003 like this.
  8. Don16

Don16 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I dont think they will replace this under warranty. Just seatch for a new panel on ebay and change it. Its not hard i upgraded my fhd screen to 4k this way.

pressing likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Dell confirms that the next XPS 15 will not have the DPC latency issues of the XPS 15 9570 Notebookcheck.net | Jun 6, 2019

"Azor has promised that the upcoming XPS 15 7590 will not share the same DPC latency issues that its predecessor has" Yees, but unfortunately this does not help much for the owners of today's XPS models.

--------------------------------------------

Why use resources on EOL model's when all engineers can spend all their valuable time on upcoming models?
    [​IMG]

Dell backtracks on XPS 15 9570 S3 sleep fix

Sound familiar, anyone? Just over a month ago Dell reported that addressing the removal of S3 sleep was next on its agenda for the XPS 15 9570. Disappointingly, but perhaps unsurprisingly, the company has seemingly u-turned on this promise.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The good news is that nobody will waste any more time waiting for DPC latency or S2 fixes on the 9570. The downside is that plenty of 9570 users have been let down.

At least Dell had the courtesy to until the end of the 9570 sales cycle before releasing this news.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    maffle and Papusan like this.