XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @splus In his tweets, it doesn't explicitly say that they will reenable S3. It says that they are working on the sleep problems.
    We'll see.
    Anyway, "throttle by design" does not bode well for the upcoming 8-core chips.

maffle and Papusan like this.
  2. Mulgul

Mulgul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Discussion continued:

‏ @Martin_Schroe: "Yes, but as mentioned on http://notebookreview.com : GPU now unnecessarily throttles >74 degrees, rather than 78, fans spin up unnecessarily since bios 1.8, VRMs throttle because Dell does not attach them to the backplate, which users had to do manually. This is NOT a proper design."

‏ @AzorFrank: "Thank you for your opinion but we determine what is and what is not proper design for our products and nobody else does. If one of our products is not operating as designed our @DellCares team and I are here to help fix the issue and we are happy to help you"

‏ @Martin_Schroe: "Thanks @AzorFrank! Yet to make the i9 and 1050 ti "work as designed" under load (e.g not crash), most need to undervolt CPU & GPU and even reduce CPU to 2.2 GHz in games. I had 3 XPS 9570, noted crashes occured in each. Also noted by reputable test sites: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-...GTX-1050-Ti-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.355641.0.html"

Feel free to contribute, @AzorFrank seems to listen:
    https://twitter.com/Martin_Schroe/status/1126172593369899008

maffle and Papusan like this.
  3. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, the NotebookCheck article mentioned they will re-enable S3, but from the tweets I also understood they will just try to make the modern standby work properly. Well, if they manage to make it work properly then I don't mind.
    Modern standby is faster than S3, but the problem is it drains too much battery and then hibernates after 5% of battery drain, which is often just 2-3 hours. Which makes the whole modern standby completely pointless - I might just as well use hibernate then...

PS. While I'm at the hibernation and boot in general - Windows boots really fast, but it takes AGES for this laptop to start booting Windows, Dell logo is displayed for some 15 sec when I press power button. Is that BIOS? Is there any way to make that faster??

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    maffle likes this.
  4. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, but... Windows 10 S0 is unfortunately broken by design, and Dell can't fix it. They can't do more than make sure none of the "factory" drivers is an "offender" preventing Windows from staying in the lowest-power DRIPS state. But that doesn't rule out 3rd-party misbehaving apps or Windows kernel from deciding that some highly important task must be done while in your backpack. Windows sleep time is too precious for Microsoft to let you decide what can run while sleeping and what can't.

maffle likes this.
  5. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I tried relevant BIOS settings but couldn't make my 9550 display post text while booting regularly to see what exactly is taking time. Try booting in Safe mode. I recall it used to boot faster initially, so it may depend on some settings.

6. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    And Dell continue screw up firmware. This time for XPS 15 6560 models:confused:

[​IMG]
    Some Dell XPS 15 9560 laptops are experiencing a severe BIOS related HDMI problem
    Oh dear. While much has been made of Dell fixing the issues affecting the XPS 15 9570, it appears that the company has broken an important feature for its predecessor, the XPS 15 9560. There have been multiple reports of BIOS 1.14.2 breaking HDMI out for some machines, rendering their HDMI ports unusable.

Ashtrix, maffle, idark77 and 2 others like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Does your XPS 15 9570 get hot and drain its battery while asleep? Dell has a workaround, but you may not like it Notebookcheck.net | May 10, 2019

Dell may well be working on a fix for S3 sleep with the XPS 15 9570, but the device still has numerous outstanding issues too. One such problem is high battery drain and overheating when asleep, and Dell now has a rather counter-intuitive workaround.

Dell is now suggesting a (halfbaked) workaround for high battery drain and overheating before it finds a permanent solution, which subverts using Modern Standby altogether: Research modern standby and turn it off, that should solve. Lovely:)

idark77 likes this.
  9. idark77

idark77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There is another solution:
    Sell it and buy other! ;)

Papusan likes this.
  10. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Modern standby is terrible, I'm ok with turning it off...