XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I will disagree with you there. Lots of tests have shown that a ton of paste is far better than too little paste.

pressing likes this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hahahaha. I meant to say that the min amount of paste possible with complete coverage is the best solution.

custom90gt likes this.
  3. vCanalla

vCanalla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I will re-paste sometime soon and take a look at how the line method turned out. Basing off of some threads here and elsewhere, spreading directly on the processor (unlike those with heatspreaders) may be more full proof. I'll make sure to run some tests before though to see if I get any net benefit.

4. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Eason I think you will agree with this guy

it seems like you REALLY share a lot of similar ideas.

Eason likes this.
  5. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Curious, has anyone tried using a Cooling pad for the XPS15? With a 8950HK I guess no amount of repashing and thermal pads can really substitute a real cooling pad with perhaps a large spinning fan. Normally, that is something you would use for a gaming laptop but I think it could be useful here, also with added benefits like ergonomics etc.

I guess the trick is finding that that does not look like something made for a 12 year old asian teenager :D

Any suggestions?

6. Jff007

Jff007 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, been a while. Work took me out of commission. I found that the stress test from RealBench did cause throttling near the end, but I personally think synthetic benchmarks aren't good measures of real world use cases.

As for the bridge, I'd recommend you guys give it a test to see for yourselves. You probably have the time and will to test with the case method, without, and other ideas. I would be interested to see results others can get. I believe someone on Reddit was discussing ways to improve it with me. Something about making the pad less of a three prong shape and more of a block.

To the idea of cooling pads. Useless unless you're pushing heat to the backplate. If you aren't pushing any, you'll get a 3ish degree C change, at best. I tested that with a $50 pad on Amazon and a cheap TekNet one that was $12. Both had the same result. I think that's probably because of the design Dell went with and how it's different from the standard thermal designs.

7. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    lol the world is full of strange people

Woodking likes this.
  8. realwarder

realwarder Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is there a TPM module in the 9570? Thanks

9. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, and this is the main reason for asking if there is a cooling pad suitable for the XPS15. Recall that @Papusan also did some testing before and was not impressed with the results.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

10. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

realwarder likes this.