XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @improwise yes, I would do it. There is no reason not to update if you are on 1.8.1.
    Also, you can downgrade up to 1.4.1.

improwise likes this.
  2. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have a dell xps 15 9550 bought back in late 2016 so i had it for over 2.5 years.

i5-6300hq processor
    8gb ram
    250gb samsung ssd
    56whr battery
    A 32gb ssd that came a long with it. I found out because of this, i could only use a 56whr battery and cant get a 84whr battery.

I use this laptop to play online poker because it requires a quad core processor. I use a program along with it that is very intensive and uses lot of power.. it uses SQL so i assume some of you would know how much power that uses?

I like this laptop a lot because its fast and everything is great. I can play poker on it with not much lag if any. My big issue is the laptop battery. When using it at full tilt... meaning when playing poker and using program with it... even with my chrome tabs closed... and no music on and brightness at minimum like 25% and battery power mode at the lowest... i get max 1h30m. Its more like 1h15m. I did a battery test on it and it seems to show i get 1h13m at a full charge.

I got a dell powerbank 7015L that i use with it. The reason is because where im located, we sometimes have power outages. Usually its when there is heavy rain or when its very hot. It could be minutes or an hour or few hours. We had it happen from day till night as well. Thus when this happens, im screwed because i need electricity on it because when im playing, i usually am playing for at least 8 hours straight. Thus if a power outage happens say late in the day... not big issue because i have my laptop battery which gives me 1h15m and the powerbank... gives me 2h30m or so... i still get 3h45m backup. I typically use my laptop on battery when power outage... then once it gets to 10%, plug my powerbank and continue to play. It takes like 1h45m to charge before powerbank runs out. Then i get max 70% battery on my laptop so say it gives me 50m on it. I want to get at least 8 hours of backup battery.

I know i could get more powerbanks which are the dell powerbank 7015L 18000mah or the powerbank 7015m 12000mah. But is that pretty much my only option? I read about UPS but ppl say don't buy that because they are not meant for your computer to be used while charging it. Do you agree on this?

The thing is I even if i get a new laptop, i want something exactly like the xps 15 9550. But only reason would be to give me more battery power. I read the xps 15 9560, 9570 and 9580 has a 96whr battery correct? So if i get one of these laptops, my battery would probably get say 2h30m max at full tilt right? Thus if i want a laptop with more battery, buying a new xps 15 laptop would be a waste of money right since my computer works fine? Its still very fast and i like it. It works great still.

If i were to get a new laptop, it would not be for another 5 months or so. But if i were to get one, do i get the 9560, 9570 or 9580? I want it obviously new. On dell it shows them selling the 9570. So basically i can't buy a 9560 new right? Also does the 9560, 9570 and 9580 all work like the 9550?

Would you agree buying a new xps is completely a waste of money if all you want is a stronger battery on your laptop since buying a few powerbanks would the battery issue when power outages? The thing is it happens a few times every 6 months.

Also does anyone know if my dell powerbank PW7015L which works with my xps 15 9550 is compatible with the 9560, 9570 and 9580? What about the powerbank PW7015M which is only 12000mah?

3. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I started to read your post and had to scroll up to check if I'm in the right thread...
    But here it is - for a few years I lived in a place which had lots of power outages and I installed a UPS with a small truck battery, and had an electrician connect it to all the power sockets. Problem solved, even for long power outages. I could plug in anything (not the big stuff like a fridge, etc.).
    Electricity is electricity, UPS converts battery power to regular 220/110 volts, so you can use it for any electrical appliance in your house, provided the wattage isn't higher than what the UPS can give. The bigger the UPS wattage, the bigger appliances you can use. The bigger the battery, the longer the power will last. If the UPS supports it, you can connect two batteries to it. I had two connected to my 1300 watt UPS.

XPS 9570 can manage 7-9 hours on a normal to light use, but no laptop can last even half that time on full tilt, if that is what you need.

I'd suggest not to bother with those small battery packs, but just get a UPS system which has a MUCH larger battery than those small batteries meant for phones or a single laptop charge... And then you can watch your TV or make your coffee with it, not just charge your laptop.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  4. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Thanks for the response. Well do most ppl not use their laptop on full tilt? So basically when a laptop is used at full tilt, at best you can get is 3 hours at the max right? What is considered full tilt to you? If someone web browses and has 20 chrome tabs up. Is that full tilt? But if they are only using a few tabs only when refreshing etc?

What does someone do on computer where its considered full tilt?

How much VA and Watt should the UPS have? Also the other thing is when you had this issue, were you outside though? Or were you inside a house or apartment? I cannot do what you suggest if im in an apartment right? Someone mentioned car battery and inverter but then mentioned if its inside apartment and you can't put it outside, you cannot do it.

Well the ups online i find that are highest seem to be 1500VA/900W. So those are not good enough then? Those seem to be the highest i could find online through amazon.

Well the thing is i don't get that much power outages like you. What to you is considered lot of power outages? Is it like at least 2-3 times a month? I would say on average, if you count it even going out say 10 minutes, it might average to 1.5 times a month. Sometimes we might not have power outage for 2 months. But when we have one, it could be for hours. The thing is if im not on the computer doing my thing, then it isn't that big of a deal. But i play online poker so i can't have this happen if you know what i mean. Now if power goes out an hour, no big deal. But you don't know how long it would last. It could be a few hours. It could be from day till night but thats more rare.

Thus there is a chance that there is no power outage for 3 months straight. But because of what i do, it gets uncomfortable when it starts raining hard because most of the time a power outage happens, its because of heavy rain etc.

5. splus

Reputations:
    Rules and regulations depend on a country, and I suppose also on the building/apartment owner. You'll have to check that, at least for the car battery. But you don't need that because a regular UPS should be OK anywhere.

That UPS has a MAX power output of 900W, which is much more than enough, but the battery capacity in those UPS is often miserable. You need to check the capacity of the battery that's in the UPS. I was living in a 3rd world country in an area with everyday long power outages, so it's not a comparable situation. I got a UPS without a battery that's designed to work with external regular car battery, which has much more capacity than what you can find in a regular small computer UPS.

Browsing with 20 tabs and nothing else is more like a light to moderate usage, at least in my opinion. When using the laptop on battery for browsing it consumes around 10W on average. Heavy stuff is if you're gaming or rendering a video or using some heavy duty computing programs, that can draw 50-80W.
    XPS 15 9570 with 4K display should last 7-8 hours when browsing, at medium screen brightness, which is more than enough indoors. Full HD model lasts quite a bit longer, probably around 10-11 hours.

If your power outages are rare and mostly short and you need the power only for the laptop, AND your usage is mostly browsing, then maybe you'd be better off to invest in a new laptop with a good battery life.
    XPS 15 9580 is just around the corner, and should probably also have a long battery life, especially for a model with full HD screen. And there are some other ultra portable laptops with 8th or 9th gen ULV CPUs with even longer battery life, which should still be faster than your 9550.

6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @splus

What country were you in at the time where you had everyday power outages?

Well if im using my laptop at full tilt, that means no laptop would probably last even 3 hours right? Maybe 3 hours would be the absolute max but its more like 2h30m max if using it at full tilt?

I wouldn't say power outages where im located are rare. But if say in 6 months, you get say 2 times a month but each one could be 30 minutes... i still count that. But that isn't that big of a deal unless its like a few hours at least. Thus if there was a power outage once a month and its an hour on average each time, my laptop battery and my dell powerbank is good enough. But when it goes out for more than 3 hours... that is when im going to be concerned. Again, these power outages that last say 3 plus hours does not happen that much. I would say on average in a 6 month span, it would happen say at least 2 times but not more than say 5 times.

Well my usage is mainly playing online poker. So when power outage happens, unless it comes back within a few hours, im kinda screwed.

So based on this, buying a new dell xps laptop is a waste of money right? Because at best that laptop battery with a new dell xps by itself probably gives me 2.5 hours at max using it at full tilt? More like 2 hours or so? And my laptop on battery goes only 1h15m. And because i like my laptop because it is fast and good?

I do not want an HD screen. I know those uses even more battery. I like my matte screen. The only thing i would like to change about my xps 15 9550 is if i could get longer battery by itself? I only have the 56whr battery because i cannot put in a 84 or 97whr battery because laptop came with a 2nd ssd in it. But even with that battery, not really going to add much battery to it right?

Thus my solution is basically is just get more powerbanks? Either that or get a regular UPS?

Do you know how long something like this would last my laptop if i were using it on full tilt and plug it to a UPS with 10% battery? Surely it charges it to 100% and i probably could still use it for a bit before it goes out?

https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B000OFXKFI/ref=twister_B00TUXM6PA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This equals to about 200 USD for the 1350VA/810W. The 1500VA/900W comes to around 230USD. But is that 30 dollar price different worth an extra 150VA and 90W more? Like it would give it an extra 15 minutes maybe?

7. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @Drew1, you seriously need to limit the amount of cross posting you do. You basically ask the same questions in multiple threads and add in a few different things. I'm so confused when I come across your posts that it feels like deja vu. It may also be the reason you don't get answers, no one is sure if you've been answered in another post.

We've beaten this horse to death in regards to your power. It's been suggested multiple times that maybe you need to look into something bigger than power companions. Perhaps you need a generator, or solar panels and a battery backup system. People have tried to help you in many many many different threads but here we are again...

*on edit*
    I also don't understand why your laptop is running full tilt when playing online poker. Are you playing multiple games? Do you have something running in the background that is running stats on hands?

8. Mulgul

Mulgul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I am just right now having this conversation with Frank Azor on Twitter:

‏ @AzorFrank: "I just shared that the new XPS 15 is coming in June."
    ‏ @Martin_Schroe: "You might want to fix the throttling with the XPS 9570 first."
    ‏ @AzorFrank: "Throttling is by design on XPS 15 hence why it is not a gaming system."
    ‏ @Martin_Schroe: "Yes, but as mentioned on http://notebookreview.com : GPU now unnecessarily throttles >74 degrees, rather than 78, fans spin up unnecessarily since bios 1.8, VRMs throttle because Dell does not attach them to the backplate, which users had to do manually. This is NOT a proper design."

Maybe you want to add your five cents. To make your voice heard directly with him, you can add something here (never give up hope):
    https://twitter.com/Martin_Schroe/status/1126110590555033600

9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I love the term "by design." I'm an engineer, I know it's NOT by design but out of necessity. I hate when people think their users are idiots...

10. splus

Reputations:
    There's this as well:
    Dell confirms that fixing S3 sleep is next on the agenda for the XPS 15 9570

Hopefully they deliver on their word after making a U turn and publicly acknowledging it this time, and finally fix the S3 sleep!

Edit:
    Some more detail: https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/1125209321778962434
    Just as I thought, FA mentioned that "they have been required to implement the modern standby by external forces". No one else but Microsoft there...

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    pilililo2 likes this.