XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @annabel_shanderin They said it in the super truper secret Twitter chat group I was invited into with almost everyone else who was complaining on Twitter about DPC latency over the couple of months, you wasnt? ^^ Yes, like I said, 600ns is kinda already close to critical, they mostly tried to shove it down just enough to make it look "nice". I actually also had a laptop once, where everything was just around 80ns or something like that, but that was under Windows 7 with ACPI off.

You can ask https://twitter.com/maknelly90 to be invited into the chat group if you want and ask there and complain too that the bios doesnt do anything for you^^

Actually, just look for example at this https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/...laptops/thinkpad-p72-type-20mb-20mc/downloads how they keep almost everything uptodate, and then compare it with Dell. It took them like 1 year to """update""" the Realtek driver. The Intel drivers are also already that old, they mostly never update the VGA drivers. Their lazy "driver update department" isnt even doing anything which takes much time, they could release an update every month or so, if they wanted.

Wonder who made the awesome decision to outsource the bios department... let me guess. First name starts with F?

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  2. idark77

idark77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also was not invited to this secret DPC Twitter chat. ;)

maffle likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Or the surname whitch start with A:D

custom90gt and maffle like this.
  4. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree with both your statements and this is basically what I was referring to when I said that at "idle" there is less garbage running.

maffle likes this.
  5. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can we create a super secret group to obtain the reintroduction of S3 sleep?

maffle likes this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @annabel_shanderin
    Forgot one Major trick to drop DPC Latency. Completely uninstall all nVidia drivers. That of course means you can't run the 1050. You need to use DDU to fully uninstall. And find a way to prevent Dell from reinstalling.
    @maffle The results on my 9550 are similar. The Highest reported DPC routine execution time on my system is typically about 450us, never really lower. The pro audio guys at www.gearslutz.com need to select computers with better latency performance.

BTW - You might want to run the LatencyMon software for 5 or 10 minutes. I close all programs and make sure laptop has been on for a few minutes so startup tasks are completed.

maffle likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah. Dell was out with firmware updates for their Precision model as well. What's better than a downgrading specs similar they did with Nvida graphics for the XPS line:oops:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...0-owners-thread.820539/page-223#post-10905017

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...0-owners-thread.820539/page-223#post-10905030

Ashtrix, idark77 and maffle like this.
  8. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @pressing Well, all those tipps you spoke about including to disable the Nvidia GPU, would just mean, next to ACPI.sys there are no DPC spikes of other drivers (wifi, dGPU, ect). They wont reduce the abnormal ACPI.sys DPC, which just Dell can fix with a proper programmed BIOS/EC.

You can have S3 right now under Windows 10 by setting CsEnabled to 0 in registry. It will just be bugged after waking up ^^ So even if Dell will give back the redundant Bios option to force S3, this bugged C0% activity still needs to be adressed, which they wont mostly (at first) or ever.

I have a very bad feeling, that the instant the 9580 is out, any "driver" and bios support for the 9570 will drop. I saw the same for the 9560 happening. The driver update site for it literally went dead the day the 9570 came out.

pressing and idark77 like this.
  9. idark77

idark77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think that too... :(

maffle likes this.
  10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Those tweaks can help some of the people, some of the time. But that depends on drivers and software running on an individuals computer.

However, at this point, Windows 10, Intel 8th gen drivers, nVidia 1050 drivers etc. are somewhat baked so those tweaks just don't have the impact they had say when Windoze 10 & the 9550 were just released; this is also the experience of several people at gearslutz.com trying to optimize for pro audio.

Agreed, Dell needs to step up their game, with harmonized boards and drivers @ release.

The XPS platform was a hurried release for Skylake so the 9550, 9560, 9570 are crippled by underdeveloped architecture. I assumed Dell would completely revamp the XPS motherboard after 2 or 3 generations. However, since Intel's development is stuck, it seems the 9580 and maybe the 9590 will be essentially similar. That's 4 or 5 generations of XPS. I can understand Dell's reluctance to invest heavily in this old CPU but the competition has caught up and moved forward.

I think Dell's support for the 9550 has been pretty good. The drivers available at vendor sites (e.g. Intel, Realtek, nVidia etc) are frequently much newer so I usually just find them, which I can understand is irritating and painful for a lot of people.

Outside the DPC latency and terribly wonky headphone jack, I have few complaints on the 9550 (it was awful when released).

maffle likes this.