XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, both. The pads seem to absorb the frequencies really well, but more important too, padding the PCH (right side of the last photo) and also the SSD (left side) will reduce fans going on/off/on/off while doing mild work like Chrome, watching a video ect. Dell is just retartded, because the fan logic calculates in the SSD and also the PCH temperatures, into if fans go on and off. The irony here is, there is no air flow to the SSD and PCH, basically there is no air flow anywhere inside. The fans just transport the heat of the heat pipes away for the CPU and GPU. The pads for SSD and PCH basically are to connect them to the chassis and therefor transport away heat.

_sem_ and Papusan like this.
  2. bfishman

bfishman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you good sir, that is just music to my ears. It's a shame that Dell produced such a beautiful laptop and then dropped the ball on QC and something as user-facing (and un-affectable, for most normal consumers) as the fan behavior. I'm just glad their mistakes can be largely ameliorated by the savvy owner.

Once I make the modifications, I will come back and report on the results to further validate your findings. Thank you again.

maffle likes this.
  3. seiyafan

seiyafan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The internal speaker was no longer recognized as a sound device, I had to uninstall the audio driver for it to come back. Weird.

4. lefti696

lefti696 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    WTF! this is way too much. (thanks for warning btw). They make it harder to stay on 1.2.2 .. I hope windows cant update bios with password set, even dell bios update utility asks for bios password to perform update.

5. idark77

idark77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    pressing and Papusan like this.
  6. gnbspop

gnbspop Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi... Is there a big difference with the 9570 and 9550? I have the 9550 and I need some good reasons why I should upgrade to the 9570... Thanks

7. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/23/...placement-fixed-pricing-features-release-date

Well, this was bound to happen. Personally, I am not interested in buying a new laptop until the industry moves to 7nm for "45W" parts (H series).
    This is even more important if Dell, and also everybody else, don't redesign their cooling solution. Almost all are inadequate because the chips aren't really "45W" parts anymore.
    We should really thank AMD for the progress in the past two years. Without AMD we would still be with quad-core chips.

splus, pressing, _sem_ and 2 others like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You won't get better cooling as long notebook manufacturers continue shrink on chassis size. You can't get better and better cooling solution the thinner the notbook chassis being. You simply can't beat the laws of physics. + Increase some important numbers won't make it any better.

maffle and idark77 like this.
  9. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Maffle is our last chance for a working BIOS. I only come here to see when he will finally beat them into resolving the issues

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

maffle and abujafar like this.
  10. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree with you. In fact, I believe that the "solution" to thermal problems will most likely come over time from the adoption of the 7nm process, not from improvements in the cooling department (ala razer blade 15 vapor chamber).

I also believe in the power of maffle's wrath. :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    maffle likes this.