XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sadly I think we'll have to disagree on that one. Even with the script, XTU cannot enforce certain variables. I'd love to see that as the case, but it never worked for me on my 9560/9570s. Anything above 57w or whatever it was and it would revert back to stock settings. With Throttle Stop I was able to run cinebench extreme at 75w...

ALLurGroceries and Dannemand like this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hahaha. What will you request when Dell pulls the same bait-and-switch on the 9580?

Dell gave @GoNz0 XPS upgrades through 3 generations up to 9560, but that was for hardware defects.

maffle and Papusan like this.
  3. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, both have arrived now. And the Razer is going back within a day. Apparently Razer still has not been able to provide a keyboard with full backlit keys even for 2019 for som markets, like a small one called Europe. No way I am paying $3500 to a company that can't even fix keyboard backlight, even in the second gen of the product.

The HP...well, will give it a few days before drawing any conclusions but let me just say that HP is back! While not a perfect laptop by any means, there is much that initialy feels like it puts Dell and the XPS15 to shame. From build quality to handling of software, drivers and updates. But more on that later :)

(Not my video)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  4. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is wrong with the 9570? I have one and it seems fine.

What are GPU set points?

5. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Going to wait for the 9580 or the Thinkpad X1 Extreme. I'm assuming the GPU on the upcoming model is going to be the GTX 1650, given how its tdp aligns with the GTX 1050 TI. Recent discounts on the 9570 and the MSI GS65 were tempting, but the former seems to still have audio problems, and the latter has MSI's creaky build quality (which is the best part of my current GE62), the upside down motherboard, and only 256 GB of storage for that particular model, which seems really poor for what is marketed as a gaming laptop, given how large games are getting recently. The value prospects of these older models decreases quite a bit as we get closer to the next generation, too. From my last gen experiences, prior to returning both the X1 Extreme and 9570, I did like the overall build and battery life of the XPS more, but I do wish they include another Thunderbolt port and another m.2 slot, like the X1 Extreme, while improving the keyboard and fixing the audio problems. I recently got a 90w Nekteck USB C IF charger with PD, which is similar in form factor to the 87w Macbook Pro 15 charger, and I want to try it out on something other than my phone. As is the case with most current and past gaming laptops, my current laptop has a UBC C port that isn't connected to the battery.

6. custom90gt

Reputations:
    The point where the GPU throttles due to temperature.

katalin_2003 likes this.
  7. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here Unclewebb's explanation:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-929#post-10824817

"Intel CPUs use at least 3 sets of turbo power limits. Intel XTU allows access to two of these power limits. The WinRing0 driver that ThrottleStop uses only has access to the MSR turbo power limits. ThrottleStop has never had access to the power limit registers in the Memory Mapped IO (MMIO). This was never really a problem until recently when more and more manufacturers started using this secondary set of power limits.

The RwDrv.sys driver is used in Read Write Everything.
    http://rweverything.com/

I asked the programmer if I could include this driver with ThrottleStop to gain access to the MMIO power limits but I never heard back from him. His native language is not English so my email probably ended up in the trash. That is why I left this driver as a separate download.

The Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature simply disables this secondary set of power limits and locks them to prevent any other software or system drivers from turning them back on. In my opinion, this was a huge addition to ThrottleStop but I have had very little in the way of positive feedback about successful use of this feature. Thanks for letting me know that your laptop is full speed ahead in Linux and in Windows with the help of ThrottleStop."

pressing likes this.
  8. lefti696

lefti696 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the same feeling except audio cracking (which is not present under linux).

9. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Thanks for finding more info on that. I wonder which ones XTU has access too since TS can do things that XTU cannot.

katalin_2003 likes this.
  10. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations: