XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    That would work until 2020, however I am ok without filthy updates. The bad thing is, that it is not booting windows 7 installer from pendrive, a blue screen error prevents to install. I will try a workaround, but I need to wait for a component.

2. annabel_shanderin

annabel_shanderin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  3. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Guys,

I just purchased a 9570 with the 8750H, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 1050ti, and FHD Screen. I purchased it open-box from Best Buy with a 14 day no questions asked return policy. $1200 after tax.

I've noticed in my two hours of using it:

-Fans spin on and spin off every 10 seconds from 0 to max RPM
    -Fan noise sounds like it's vibrating
    -Just a tiny, tiny bit of light bleeding in the bottom left of the screen
    -The battery max capacity is 95% of the originally designed battery capacity

It seems as though whoever returned this laptop used it for two days in February and returned it, from the battery diagnostic I ran.

I updated the BIOS and everything, still no go.

Return it? Is this how all these laptops are?

4. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would try bios 1.6, I think that's the one with better fan profiles. The battery capacity is often weird on the XPS. I've had brand new ones that say 10% wear.

toughasnails and maffle like this.
  5. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @TSE There is a default wear level of 10% set in bios, you can disable it if you want to, but I wouldnt advice. The fans are terrbiel since bios 1.7.0 and Dell has no intention so far to fix/revert it, so unfortunatly, 1.6.0 mostly will be the last ever usable bios for the 9570, read about it here, and also make a ticket at Dell about it. If they lie to you as usual "were sorry to hear, we never heared about it or have no tickets about it", threat them with the source and tell them if they lie to you again, you will request a full money back.

But even with 1.6.0 the fan profile is bad because it is triggered by both SSD and PCH temperatures, which the fans cant cool. So you have to thermal pad these. Then also short turbo boost jumps of the CPU can trigger the fans for no reason randomly. A solution to this, next to padding the SSD and PCH is, to disable turbo or cap frequencies to around 3.2 or 3.3 under Windows and undervolt.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/akngpy/incompetent_dell_devs_answer_to_bios_170_fan/

6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The rattling fan is a reason to return. You will need to rma to get that fixed.

7. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    After wiping my hard drive & reinstalling Windows completely, the issues were essentially eliminated. The only thing left is the "coil whine" - as long as it doesn't cause longterm problems, I think I'll keep it. I'm falling in love with this computer's size, weight, and battery life. Even the 1080p screen is really, really nice.

The only thing I'm a little concerned about now is the thermals - I ran cinebench and even after undervolting, the processor is getting to 95 degrees celsius. Thinking about repasting and installing some thermal pads in it following this guide:

What do you guys think? Thanks for the help so far.

8. annabel_shanderin

Reputations:
    A question about graphics drivers: Do you guys use the intel UHD and Nvidia drivers from dell or the ones from Intel and Nvidia? I myself have been running the non-dell ones for a long time without any issues, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something (performance, optimization, battery life etc.)

There is a new Nvidia driver out from dell along with a "Nvidia Graphics application", whatever that might be.

9. idark77

idark77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For Intel I use the driver from Dell because every time I install the last driver from Intel then Windows Update downgrades it to Microsoft version...
    For Nvidia 1050TI I use the last version from Nvidia (DCH version).

10. annabel_shanderin

Reputations:
    Why the DCH version, if I may ask?