XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    pilililo2 likes this.
  2. annabel_shanderin

annabel_shanderin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Interesting. From a very quick listening test, after installing the new driver, it sounds to me like they inserted a compressor or limiter, that catches high transients in a specific part of the spectrum (somewhere in the lower end). My speakers does not rattle anymore, but now there are sitll a distortion going on. However, the distortion seems to be happening digitally now, and not by actual speaker units rattling around because of bass frequencies. Again, sounds like a digital limiting is happening now. Maybe for the better. Will need to test more.

DPC latency is the same, as could be expected.

pilililo2 likes this.
  3. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nope. That is just the bad MaxxAudio software equalizer, you have to deactivate:

[​IMG]

4. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I actually tweaked my Waves Max audio and think it sounds way better on the terrible internal speakers when compared to turning it off. To each their own I guess.

So my 9570 has a squeaky space bar. After a quick google search, I notice that its pretty common. Has anyone else here experienced that and if so, did you fix it? I have warranty left, but don't really want a tech to come out for that (even if Dell would send one). I saw a video where you can pop off the space key and apply some lubrication but that seems dangerous. Again, just curios what everyone here has done (I apologize in advance for not searching).

5. maffle

Reputations:
    @MSGaldenzi My space bar is not spueaky, it is worse, it makes cracking noises and "flips" back and forth if you press on top and bottom. Squakely noises just make my left ctrl, ESC, del, A and tab keys. Premium garbage laptop.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    MSGaldenzi likes this.
  6. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  7. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Stumbled upon this writeup on battery drain during Modern Standby on the 9570
    https://code.luasoftware.com/tutorials/windows/win10-problematic-modern-standby/

It appears that this power-draining insomnia results from an orchestrated attack of Microsoft upon its user base with explicit intention of depriving their computers of proper sleep. Long read:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby
    A CS-enabled computer is not allowed to support S3; a windows reinstall is supposedly needed for switchover to/from S3 sleep mode; and Microsoft encourages vendors to drop the functionality required for S3 from BIOS altogether.
    User rights are restricted to optionally disconnecting wifi during sleep, and possibly inspecting "offenders" with SleepStudy or even sillier and more cumbersome debugging efforts.
    But they are not allowed to disable the OS and modern apps from periodically waking up the computer to lesser dormancy levels and processing whatever they deem necessary.
    Additionally, there is a set of conditions required to enter the lowest activity state (DRIPS) that may failed to be met.
    It is claimed (without justification) that modern standby is more power efficient than S3, but rather openly admitted that the actual power drain is at mercy of app developers.

Somebody should stop the madness.

Btw from the first link it appears that the Hibernate After wake bug known from the 9550 somehow managed to to survive the evolution process to the 9570 ;(
    Anyway, Hibernate After appears to be on the retirement path too.

8. maffle

Reputations:
    @_sem_

1. the author of the blog isnt aware of the c state bug, I knew that blog before and I contacted him asking him to stop spreaking information leading into problems for others to adobt. just disabling CS on the 9570 is not a solution

2. the quote from MS that you have to reinstall Windows switching from CS to S3 and vice versa is a propaganda lie

3. here is the most funny (upsetting) thing, showing, that MS has giving up on fixing modern standby and knows internally, that is is not working, mostly never will: they "secretly" changed the sleep behavior with Windows 10 (>=1703 I think?), so that if more than 5% battery is drained on modern standby, the device enters hibernate automatically ("HIBERNATE BUDGET"). This shows, that MS has no trust anymore in modern standby themself. You cant easily change the 5% hibernate setting too on your own. They called it "adaptive hibernate";

"Defines the battery drain % that the user is allowed in a standby session. Default is 5%."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/power-settings/adaptive-hibernate

So no, hibernate isnt retirning, and MS "last resort" option. And theyre too stubborn to acknowledge modern standby is a failure, and giving back S3. What a joke.

Funny thing is, modern standby has no function on the 9570, other than waking up 2 seconds faster compared to S3.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  9. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    > 2. the quote from MS that you have to reinstall Windows switching from CS to S3 and vice versa is a propaganda lie

Several things not just that are obviously Microsoft agenda not facts of life, they are obviously pushing for modern and want to kill S3

> 3. here is the most funny (upsetting) thing, showing, that MS has giving up on fixing modern standby and knows internally, that is is not working, mostly never will: they "secretly" changed the sleep behavior with Windows 10 (>=1703 I think?), so that if more than 5% battery is drained on modern standby, the device enters hibernate automatically ("HIBERNATE BUDGET") ...

It is clear that they want laptops "on" all the time or at least much of the time, but it is also obvious that battery capacities are finite, so there is no workaround for them, hehe.
    I meant that they want to phase out timed Hibernate After.
    The switchover bug is the most troublesome here, drags on for years, though I'm not sure what percentage of laptops is affected by this roughly.

> Funny thing is, modern standby has no function on the 9570, other than waking up 2 seconds faster compared to S3.

I think they mainly want laptops on all the time - email and chat updates, tile updates, skype calls, music playing, and, most of all, permanent tracking of all sorts (what Android has but they don't).
    I mean, it is obvious that they don't want to offer the option of constant unconditional DRIPS sleep, which could likely replace S3.

10. maffle

Reputations:
    No that is a bug in Windows 10 which was fixed some time ago I think. It is basically that the 5% was exceeded and Windows didnt notice it during DRIPS sleep just the moment you wake it up, bam it goes moronic into hibernate. So if you sleep in DRIPS for >=5% then wake up, it goes to hibernate that instant, instead of during the DRIPS state.

Connected standby "MAY" make "SOME" sense on tablets, but not on a damn laptop. You want to move the laptop from point A to B to C and during that time just sleep and use as little battery as possible, and during that time you have no connectivity anyway.