XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @custom90gt I told you so all along (-: It was obvious they reduced it secretly and never intended to change it back. They will mostly also not revert the dGPU poll fan "problem", they implemented it by their will and wont change it back. Mostly all to reduce the return numbers they get by fried laptops, mostly a lot by modern standby, and just people who dont know how to use a Windows laptop properly. Problem is with all these people who game on the XPS with no FPS lock at 60, no undervolt, and then complain it melting. It would be hilarious, if they throttle the CPU too now with a future bios and wont revert/allow a revert. I am, unfortunatly, back to 1.6.0 now, the fan problems were just not accetable of 1.7.0. The dGPU polls happen every few moments still, but it wont trigger the fans. With that being said, everyone should have a 100% allowed money back actually, regardless if you bought it like half a year ago. Dell shall rot on tons of returned 9570 they cant resell again. #DellCares Kappa

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    idark77 and pilililo2 like this.
  2. Mulgul

Mulgul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could you let us know the email of the engineering? I wouldn't mind to send him an email as well.

3. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What do we know about other similar laptops running Windows 10 - do they have the same problems? Like running Windows 10 on other similar laptops or Linux on this one, is it equally bad?

I don't doubt that many of the problems are Dells fault, but if Windows 10 suck in general, its a bit hard to blame Dell for that and it should then be obvious on X1E etc.

4. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sadly I do not have a direct email address, it's just a generic technical_support@dell.com. I'm really disappointed in Dell. The XPS is a great laptop with a few issues that I think should be fixed. I am trying to figure out the best sources to put Dell's response out there. I'm hoping some negative publicity may change their mind.

5. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I found by random luck another awesome "bug", Dell would call it a feature (not sure if this just happens on 1.7.0, I found it on 1.7.0): If you have selected "silent" in the Dell Power Tool, and then if the dGPU rises over +90% load, it throttles to 800-999MHz REGARDLESS of the temperature (could be even 40°C). I found this behavior by luck, because I wanted to try out HDMI output on a 1080p monitor for a game.

I had some FPS issues, but then noticed the dGPU clocked to 800-999MHz for no reason it seemed. I found out, this mostly was related to buggy 4k to 1080 window scaling by Windows. so if you scaled a windowed game to windowed fullscreen on the second monitor, after you moved it over, it was internally still drawing with a 4k resolution.

This caused the dGPU use a 99% usage, and that caused automatically a 800-999MHz downlock regardless the temperature was fine (60°C), minimizing the window back, dGPU clocked up again. I can easily reproduce this, by starting a game on the 4k monitor with HDMI connected and extended desktop. Then move over the game to the 1080 monitor, then toggle window min/max. The moment the window goes max, the dGPU throttles to 800-999MHz because of usage goes over 90%.

You can see the behavior here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v5tzvf1vdl8mm1m/dgputhrottle.mp4?dl=0

Second temperature value of the first line is dGPU (is fine, 60°C).
    Last line first/second values ared GPU clock and usage. (automatically throttles to 9xxMHz after +90% usage, regardless of temperature).

I can reproduce this on the 4k panel alone too, by opening a game in 1080p windowed mode, normal clocks, usage around 60%. Then max it to 4k, dGPU rises to +90% usage and it automatically down clocks to 8xxMHz, even dGPU temperatur is 58°C. Or just like here, slowly rising the dGPU load by zooming out step by step and then back in:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pl2hbk2ithjfm6r/dgputhrottle2.mp4?dl=0

There is totally no need for this, becaue fans and temps are all low and fine. I just love this laptop (Dell). The bios/EC is a pure joke.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    idark77 and pilililo2 like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    A small start:D How Dell cripple performance explained by....

maffle and idark77 like this.
  7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Apple did that with my wonderful iPhone 4S. That is presumably to sell more new units via accelerated obsolescence(TM).

I just won't buy any new products from Apple or Dell.

Papusan and pilililo2 like this.
  8. pilililo2

pilililo2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, this should completely fall under this category the same as Apple did with the iPhones.

Papusan and pressing like this.
  9. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And that's why I blame Dell, I would have preferred an Intel gpu only option as the cooling has enough problems handling just the CPU.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

10. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This isn't about what the 1050 can do, it is what it can do in an XPS 15. Don't think I have to tell you about the shortcomings of the later :)

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk