XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Maffle you seem like a man possesed to get to the bottom of this. Hope something good comes out of it eventually

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

moodz likes this.
  2. annabel_shanderin

annabel_shanderin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I know, it was only a polite way of making him realise that he was mistaken.

3. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think I may have found a worthy contender.... been holding on to my £'s since I sent the 9570 back and using my old XPS17 as I couldn't find anything I liked.

Alienware Area 51M - 17 inch.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/gam...1m/spd/alienware-17-area51m-laptop/n00aw51m02

Now this looks like it can cool itself, look at those exhaust vents! :D

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    improwise likes this.
  4. Mulgul

Mulgul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,
    after padding all VRMs and not letting the GPU use more than .93 Volt at 1.800 MHz as well as turning off turbo boost for gaming, I am pretty happy with the laptop, even as a gaming machine. The 1050 ti can run Battlefield 5 and modern games in FHD at low/medium settings. But I have two questions about further improving the performance:

Would uninstalling DPTF (and keeping it uninstalled through the Windows pro Group Policy editor) get rid of the 74 degree thermal limit of the GPU?

Do you think there would be any danger, as long as I make sure that the GPU does not go above 78 degrees?

And would setting the internal GPU rather than the the DGPU in the Nvidia device manager get rid of the annoying fan spinning that came with BIOS 1.7.? I would then only set the 1050 ti to be used for specific applications, but change the global setting to the internal GPU?

Thanks for your help! And Jesus, what is wrong with Dell?

maffle likes this.
  5. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Mulgul I wanted to test that too (though I had no reason so far because I dont have a game where it reaches over 66°C), havent done it so far. I have upgraded to Pro though for $4 and disabled once and for all the nasty auto driver updates with gpedit.msc, too bad the other workarounds dont seem to work anymore properly. Not sure how safe it is though because of bad modern standby, might be risky if your laptop fries to death because of modern standby going nuts and then no thermal throttling kicking in in your bags or next to your bed.

My 1050ti works stable at 1709 and 0.875V, havent tested 1800 actually so far. I would like the lower voltage more than a tiny bit of more performance. Dont overclock the VRAM btw, it gives literally zero advantage because of the capped 128bit memory interface.

I actually am testing a workaround for the nasty fans with 1.7.0 right now, by simply deactivating the Nvidia card in device manager until I use it, then deactivate it again. It works so far and I havent encounterd issues. I read before that people were talking about problems caused by driver toggling on/off for a GPU under Windows, but so far it works, and totally gets rid of the fan issues.

You can download the MS tool devcon ( https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/devcon ) and then create a script toggle like this:

devcon enable "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C8C&SUBSYS_087C1028&REV_A1"
    devcon disable "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C8C&SUBSYS_087C1028&REV_A1"

That is my 1050ti device ID, and then just create a shortcut with admin rights. Havent tested yet though if this causes a modern standby drain, which wouldnt surprise me... (Update:... ok it does (-: https://i.imgur.com/NB63Ado.png how could it be different, you deactivate a device, and it kills modern standby and fries your device. I love it. and that kills this workaround too. I just love it. I love it. I really do.)

I actually found out, that there is some nasty bug in Windows 10 with Optimus / MS Hybrid. Remember when I said, one dGPU poll was when you clicked right click on an EXE file in Explorer, causing the fans to spin? Well, I find out, that it is actually not caused by the Nvidia context menu dll hook which I disabled. There seems to be some stupid bug in Windows, where some context menus triggers a short 100ms dGPU poll the moment they are loaded into RAM, then when theyre there, it doesnt happen anymore, until next load. I tried around right clicking everywhere randomly in Windows 10 and most of the times I could trigger the dGPU for randomly context menues, even in Chrome, on the start menu, Explorer, and others. Also just scrolling the scroll bar in ThrottleStop caused this sometimes... (mostly some HW accelerated GUI elements like scroll bars menus ect all over Windows) And if you have Nvidia Experience installed that also randomly causes a short dGPU poll... so it is just not accetable, Dell tries to go through the wall like this with this nonsense lazy programming.

Deactivating the Nvidia card in device manager then totally got rid of the fan spins. If you reboot the laptop with a deactivated or not installed dGPU the fans btw never go off (-:

It is just RIDICULOUS how STUPID and IGNORANT and INCOMPENT Dell is, by binding the fans to the dGPU like this, without probing the temperatures and totally ignoring them. And they mostly will then just say, well, too bad, not our problem, MS has to fix the random dGPU polls in Windows... which I agree to a certain point, but Dell also has to change, that the fans just turn on bound to the dGPU temperature.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    splus, pilililo2, idark77 and 2 others like this.
  6. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The windows dGPU polling issue has been happening for years now. I don't think MS will ever fix it...

7. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yepp. I know. It got a bit better with the last major updates, but there are countless little places still here and there, where a short dGPU poll happens, like these context menu polls for example, or whatever, mostly a LOT. The problem now is... this was irrelevant before Dell changed it with 1.7.0 to the AMAZING EPIC IDEA, to spin on the fans the nanosecond the dGPU has activity (and dont put this in the changelogs btw). They cant let this be in this state. I have actually HwInfo open and everytime randomly the fans spin on, there was a short dGPU poll, just while typing this, there was a poll happening in the background by what I do know... It happens a lot durent a first Windows boot and then settles down a bit, but then it happens still everywhere around all over Windows, mostly with context menus, or start menu ect.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    custom90gt likes this.
  8. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Yeah what a dumb move for Dell to spin the fans up whenever the dGPU is activated. I was going to pick up another XPS but decided not to until they fix the GPU throttling and fans...

9. Mulgul

Mulgul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for the awesome reply @maffle!

I am just not upgrading to 1.7 then, since the only real bugfix (GPU not clocking up when cold) is not that important to me. By the way, I also use .893 Volt at 1683 Mhz for lower voltage and 1797 Mhz at .931 voltage if I have the temperature headroom (not having it was also why I asked about raising the 74 degree temperature limit.

I would not be worried about hybrid sleep turning the XPS into a fiery hell (another genius Dell / Microsoft idea), since I just use hibernation now (thanks Dell). Still: no one knows whether deactivating DPTF would get rid of the 74 degree GPU limit?

10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I don't think that getting rid of the DPFT would help with the 74C GPU limit. It's in the vbios (attached to the bios).

katalin_2003, abujafar and _sem_ like this.