XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I got my refund yesterday!! :D if it isn't too late, or any way for you to get out, do it! :)

2. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice one Eucaly, pleased for you. I did the same. :)

If you keep buying these machines like this they'll keep makin' 'em like this. Vote with your £/$.

A few minor tweaks should be all thats needed to get an expensive laptop to run as advertised, not extra parts and software IMHO.

maffle, eucalyptus and idark77 like this.
  3. idark77

idark77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice move. I am out of time but using Ubuntu Linux I have no problems with my 9570.

ChrisDeath and pilililo2 like this.
  4. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Problem is, that the majority of the XPS buyers have no idea about these issues and think they bought a premium laptop. Also all major Youtubers advertise the XPS every year in a row as the "best laptop" "premium" ect. None of them ever mention the problems, mostly arent even aware about them, or they get a free laptop from Dell to advertise.

Then there are the companies who buy laptops from Dell. I have a friend working for a IT company, and they have a contract with Dell. The last unit they had was the 9560, and they had tons of issues with it with bluescreens. They returned them like a couple of times, had Dell replace the motherboard and so on. I just looked onto a 9560 from my friend via Teamviewer, and could identify the issue in a matter of minutes, bluescreens caused by the Killer wifi driver. Dell is just incompetent, or lets say the management. Little issues like this could easily be fixed. Changing contract from Killer to Intel, coil whine could be fixed with maybe 10cent better coils, driver issues too by testing, and so on. The XPS is good from the idea, but then little things ruin it, and the worst is, they are fixable. But Dell doesnt care. Then there is this incompetent outsourced company who makes the bios for their laptops...

Sadly I cant ask for a refund for my 9570. I have it since September 2018.

Woodking, pressing and eucalyptus like this.
  5. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I paid for mine in July and got it in August. You can still get a refund :) If there are issues and they change motherboard 3 times, the 4th time the option is to get your money back :)

And yes, I HATE all these stupid youtubers and PC magazine websites praising not only Dell XPS, but a bunch of laptops, MSI included, to be "the best laptop"...."oh wow best laptop of the year"...."oh wow this model is so great". No, they are not great, they never ever say anything about the issues. Even she from 'MobileTechReview' which some say are one of the best on youtube says things like "oh they had some issues before but it's all good now, the XPS is a great machine and working just fine".

No wonder everyone is buying these laptops, myself included, when people lie about the performance/true story. Dave Lee from Dave2D is great on youtube, but he also praises every single laptop he touches and never says anything about issues.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2019
    Woodking, pilililo2 and maffle like this.
  6. Killer_Networking

Killer_Networking Company Representative

Reputations:
    It has been a while since we had a bluescreen issue with our drivers. That said, if your friend's company managed updates on the machine, they may have been using outdated drivers, in which case that would be out of your friend's hands. For anyone else, if you have bluescreen errors with our drivers, first follow our clean-install guide here - https://www.killernetworking.com/ki...q/105-clean-install-the-killer-control-center - and, if that doesn't resolve the issue, please contact us here - https://www.killernetworking.com/killersupport/contact - so that we can help troubleshoot the issue. I don't want any users out there having bluescreens with our drivers!

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

pressing and Papusan like this.
  7. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And that begs the question again...what will.you get instead?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

8. happlo

happlo Newbie

Reputations:
    Recently I have returned two 9570. First one had visible backlight bleeding in the bottom left and right corner, and terrible coil whine. The second one had exactly the same backlight bleeding, less coil whine, but also one of the fans gave a high pitched pulsating sound, not very noticeable at first but disturbing in the longer period. The thermals were ok for me. I could live with the screen as the bleeding was visible only when the background was black, but the noises were too much. Perhaps I am sensitive to the high pitched sounds. Now I have to chose if I want another 9570 or to look for a different laptop. I liked thinkpads t480/t580 but they have inferior processor and graphics.

9. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I try to keep an eye on this thread to check if the issues of this laptop have been resolved in any way. Unfortunately, it seems that some new issues have arisen since I returned this machine last summer. Unfortunately, I cannot think of a good alternative in this product category. I ran into issues with the Thinkpad X1 Extreme too, when I had that machine. Razer has their own problems and the extra cost for GPU power I don't need is not ideal. I'm likely waiting for a Dell XPS 15 refresh, in the hopes that maybe some of these flaws, including the audio crackling, which is more bothersome for me than performance throttling, can be resolved. Either that or Dell fixing their problems with this current model, including audio and latency problems, and offering a deep discount too.

pressing likes this.
  10. Willy330Ci

Willy330Ci Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Despite the amount of negativity this thread has, I had to (Yes) had to buy the 9570, its the only thing out there that fits my definition of a premium and fast notebook.

Took it straight for drivers and bios updates, along with Windows 10 Build 1809 update, and then all OS updates, after that installed all of my Apps and Office, configured Windows Hello and all settings, 1809 is great by the way!

Cleaned the murder that took place on my SSD after all of the above, and reclaimed exactly 29.4GB in the process, then trimmed it!

Installed FarCry Primal, FarCry 5, Need for Speed Payback, and took all of them for about 2 hours spin, rested of course in between the games! But during my several gaming sessions in the past 10 days, I have not seen ANY of the complaints that you guys are talking about.

Bios is 1.7.0 System Specs are 8750H / 1TB Samsung NVMe SSD / 32GB RAM / 4K version

Used ONLY official Dell drivers off the Dell support website, yes older but I don't give a rats' @ss as long as they work.

Using ThrottleStop 8.7.0.6 and only undervolting CPU/Cache to -135 mV. All is Gold, No Crazy fan spins, No coil whine, No throttling or slowing down on all games, and what scared me the most was the talk about (GFX polling and/or slows down when using file explorer, or Task Manager, thank God, I do not have any hints of that, I also can't hear the fans whatsoever when I'm not gaming, using Chrome with 35+ tabs along with Spotify App, nothing, Nada! just kicks in when I'm encoding some Videos or converting a bunch of other media types.

Slows down in File explorer were there, but as soon as I have gotten rid of OneDrive, all is back to normal, just remember to get rid of the dreaded thing, by either disabling it or nuking it out of existence!

Killer card is rock solid, no disconnections and never BSOD.

Build Quality is top notch, no misaligned LCD, also there is no backlight-bleed, no squeaky keyboard and I have no random Spin ups/downs coming from the fan, that would have been very irritating indeed!

Could it be that I'm just lucky? Nope! never was, why now ;)

This is my (OWN) take, does not invalidate others'

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2019