XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah even with a good GPU/CPU undervolt my GPU ended up throttling to <1GHz due to the 74C setpoint when gaming in Far Cry 5.

For everything else the XPS was a great laptop. Just about everything is superior to my X1 Extreme aside from keyboard/second NVMe slot.

abujafar likes this.
  2. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @custom90gt I totally agree with what you are saying. I don't have a problem with it because I don't game but I guess that 3C reduction made a lot of difference for gamers.
    Were you hitting the threshold even when disabling turbo for the CPU?

3. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What will most use the GPU for if not gaming? GPU acceleration with Premiere Pro?

CAD?

Stuff like that?

4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Yeah video encoding and solid modeling are my main uses for the GPU and they don't get it close to hot...

@abujafar, I've never disabled turbo on a CPU in order to play games. I don't game on the laptop much (since the desktop has a 2080ti), and I hate the thought of having to gimp one component in order to have another one work at its rated speed. If I were to do it though, I would just limit the TDP going to it so it could still boost up a fair amount.

5. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @B0B also machine learning and numerical computing. Like neural network training and inference.

B0B likes this.
  6. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can you pls explain a bit more in detail what you mean?

7. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Sure. I love my X1 but also my XPS.

Things I like about the XPS more than the X1:
    Screen is much brighter and better colors even after calibration.
    Touchpad is better on XPS but I do use the trackpoint all the time on the X1.
    Build is much better, feels a lot more solid.
    Battery life is unmatched.
    CPU operates at higher clocks unless you edit TDP settings on X1.
    Fans are less annoying on the XPS unless you remove the mesh on the X1.
    Smaller build, fits into my 14" laptop case with ease.

Things I like more about the X1:
    Much better keyboard.
    Trackpoint.
    Dual NVMe slots.
    Lenovo drivers seem to be better.
    No 74C GPU throttle setpoint.

Obviously there are trade offs between the two. I sold my XPS until Dell figures out how to fix their bios. If I could get this OP15's battery life to the 7-8 hour range then I'd probably sell the X1 as well...

Lisa from mobile tech reviews has similar experiences although she reviewed the 4k versions:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    _sem_ likes this.
  8. stats

stats Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone know why the XPS 15 9570 is so much cheaper from Amazon and Best Buy than Dell's website? The XPS 13 is cheaper too. The only thing I can see is maybe warranty/support contract.

The difference is as much as $500.

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Rich

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  9. lefti696

lefti696 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When repasting my xps during Christmas i made a quick compare and it appears that difference between 1.2.2 and 1.3 bios (the one with 75C {not 74} temp limit and 78C temp limit) is almost impossible to notice. So it should not be a deal breaker.

Here are 3d mark results before and after the upgrade (both after repasting)
    https://imgur.com/a/bSPKDHZ

btw, it appears that after repasting fans are more steady. It light web brwosing on battery they are quiet and comes when they need to. When on AC they are on but on lowest possible mode. Its not perfect (they shout be silent) but at least they dont go on and off constantly.

One more thing, maybe someone knows something about it. This happened to me when my dell was completely new, 10 mins after unboxing and yesterday. I have stock killer card. Next day (after normal day of work) I sat by the computer turn it on and when system was ready to work mi wifi does not work. I switched to windows from linux. Same here. Both systems couldn't see network card as well as BT. In bios wifi/bt was on. I turned of my dell, connected to Dell docking station with usb c and booted and wifi was working again. wtf?!
    Do you know what is going on? And what to do if it happens when I don't have my docking station with me?

10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    My mistake. Regardless it does matter when you actually use it and not just run benchmarks on it.