XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That happened to me too, closed the lid and put in my bag, I have a 10-15 minute walk from home to university, on my way home when I got to my apartment where it is more silent I could hear the fans spinning like crazy and took it out of my backpack instantly with the screen and whole body extremely warm. Could literally not touch the keyboard/wrist-area and bottom side of the case.

And when you talk to the support about people reporting this on the forums and some people actually got their screens damaged, answers are always "oh wow, I have never heard about that. According to my screen here that is not a reported issue with the XP 15".

2. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Better tweet out to https://twitter.com/AzorFrank about it. He will promptly start an investigation and invest a fortune, to fix it.

eucalyptus and pilililo2 like this.
  3. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No no don't waste their time it's obviously our fault. we have to let the engineers work on more important things like BIOS updates that tend to make more problems than it fixes, it's a premium xps feature

pilililo2, eucalyptus and maffle like this.
  4. Cooler-master

Cooler-master Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello.
    I connent to my 9570 external USB SSD and HDD.
    After 30-50 seconds of inactivity the SSD or HDD go to suspend mode (HDD is stoped).
    I want to disable suspend mode in power settings.
    I went to Power settings in my active power plan, but i cannot find USB setting. I have only:
    - Desktop background settings
    - Sleep
    - Power buttons
    - Screen
    - Battery

USB settings is absent.

Please, help me. How can i disable suspeng mode.

Thanl you.

5. maffle

Reputations:
    Cooler-master likes this.
  6. maffle

Reputations:
    Wanted to copy this over here too. For the first time, since I own the 9570, I am happy.... At least about the fan control (-:

Great news: I am in contact with the developer of HwInfo and he was so amazingly nice and competent, to implement in just a few hours, the code for the EC fan auto control off into HwInfo, and HwInfo now supports natively the same register writes (method1/2 from the github code) for (a few) Dell laptops, to turn off the EC auto fan control, and also turn it on again. I am testing a test build since yesterday and it works perfectly so far on the 9570.

Discussion here:

https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-REQUEST-Write-to-EC-manual-fan-control-on-Dell-XPS-laptops

You can download a test build here: https://www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi64_601_3636.zip

My settings:

https://i.imgur.com/Hg4DLLT.png fan1 custom auto button
    https://i.imgur.com/Kcw4O38.png fan2 custom auto button

I have set a 20-second spin-down.

Auto start custom fan control when starting HwInfo, correct sensors have to be selected and loaded at start:

OpenFanCtrlMin=1

in ini file of the HwInfo folder.

I asked also if he could implement some more fan control settings, which would be great, like a threshold when the first activation should happen, and some other stuff.

If you click system auto in the fan window, it activates EC control again. Be aware that the ec control mostly stays off for a normal reboot, you have to power cycle, or do a reset of the register.

Also follow the latest discussion here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-on-dell-laptops-under-windows.805317/page-15

Where you can use @Aaron44126 commandline tool too with the github driver to achieve the same thing. You can implement an auto on/off via Windows autostart service obviously, or do what you want.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ual-custom-control-of-the-laptop-fans.827106/

Tested it so far just with bios 1.6.0. Can be, that bios 1.7.0 ruins it because of the dGPU changes Dell made (to the fan). Update: Does not work with 1.7.0! dGPU triggers fans regardless all the time.

In combination with TS and turbo off (I switch it on and off for the workload I need) for normal Windows work (web, office, watching movies ect), it works amazingly, temps always under 50°C, fans always off. No random fan spins anymore... no annoying "fan curve". I also use turbo off obviously in most games, and it works good enough for 60FPS. Then also using MSI AB to undervolt dGPU to 0.875V works wonders. It works awesome so far. Of course you have to know what youre doing, and how to do it right. So be aware about that. And how/where to reset to EC auto control again.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    lefti696, splus, _sem_ and 3 others like this.
  7. eucalyptus

Reputations:

So you can basically turn off the fans completely now?? Can you also make your own curve?

I mean that is AMAZING! But INSANE it has to be like this................... Seems like the guy you are in contact should be chief at Dell to get things right LOL
    *Wink wink @Dellcare you got something to learn here*

8. maffle

Reputations:
    @eucalyptus Yes, after EC fan control is OFF, you have to use a software-based fan control obviously as a replacement. And you can customize it as you wish of course. HwInfo has a build in fan control ("fan curve") too which works for the Dell fans.

eucalyptus likes this.
  9. eucalyptus

Reputations:
    Hahahah IDK what to say :D Sounds unbelievable, too good to be true :D After everything every XPS owner had to go through, the pain because of Dell's incompetence, and here some guy comes in and saves the day. WOW!!!! Much cred to the guy who fixed it.

Are you gonna try Bios 1.7?

My Dell rep. from Swedish customer service finally got back to me and asked me today what I wanted to proceed with, a new laptop or money back. I asked for my money back, and hopefully, I will get it.

pilililo2 likes this.
  10. maffle

Reputations:
    @eucalyptus Not sure yet if I will test 1.7.0. I see a larger risk it wont work, because Dell seems to have changed something on the fan and mostly EC registers too with 1.7.0. Could be, that the dGPU always triggers fans and that cant be deactivated then with the old registers. But sure, it might work fine. Well I will test it mostly in the next days anyway, and then go back to 1.6.0 if it doesnt work.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    eucalyptus likes this.