XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. Cooler-master

Cooler-master Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello. I installed latest iGPU drivers from Intel web site, but i have not control panel. Not at right mouse click on desktop, not in control panel.
    Where is it?

2. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @eucalyptus Totally this. These damn Dell laptops HAVE NO FAN CURVE. It is so badly programmed with whatever random trigger points, spins for a few seconds, whoops wait a moment, temps are fine, mh better turn them off again. Random trigger a few seconds later, TURN THEM ON TURN THEM ON! Whoops, no wait, that wasnt necessary, turn them off again. They arent coupled to temperature alone, where the temperature points are btw also way too low, they are weirdly connected to trigger events too (dGPU activity, other things too I havent found out so far, maybe iGPU activity also like watching a 4k Video for example ect).

And then... where they SHOULD work, they dont! For example CPU reaches 97°C and throttles, but fans just run at 25/50% (Dell hasnt implemented PWM btw, they can just spin at 3 values)... just after maybe 10 minutes prime95/whatever 100% task, they "decide" hm... lets go 100%, and you lose performance (render tasks ect).

And then these XPS fans have literally no cooling function anyway, basically. You could run the device passively cooled even with mild dGPU work, and the fans could stay off, with temps around 60-70°c which should be fine. I wish someone would program a tool, which would work under Windows for the XPS to control the fans.

@Cooler-master The Intel control panel is from now on (DCH) an Windows UWP app you have to install extra https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/intel-graphics-control-panel/9ndlclmmtmrc

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    eucalyptus and Cooler-master like this.
  3. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The latest drivers @Intel are Modern (DCH) and Dell isn't there yet, so you're totally on your own playing with them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/a1pyi8/thank_you_windows_10_ms_for_rolling_back_older/

You can check the latest legacy drivers @Intel.
    Btw the control panel reportedly disappears also with one or two latest BIOS versions, with regular drivers from Dell, and there are complaints over color saturation due to lost control.

Cooler-master likes this.
  4. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did anybody have this laptop that would rock on a flat table?

5. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I just opened up 3 yesterday and none of them were unstable in that regard.

toughasnails likes this.
  6. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Also got a -125 undervolt and run p95 small ffts and temps maxed at 82 with 53w package power.

Does this mean im not throttling?

On the other hand i run cinebench, ts bench and performance test 9 from passmark. Im getting almost identical results whether throttlestop is running or switched off. What does this mean

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

7. maffle

Reputations:
    I flashed back to 1.6.0 and ALL fan issues are gone again. At least theyre back to how they were before 1.7.0, still bad fan "curve", but not broken totally. So no dGPU poll fan triggers anymore => bios bug with 1.7.0. Obviously this is again lazy/stupid programming by incompetent Dell/bios devs. They "fixed" the low dGPU bug, which was mostly not a bug but intended, and therefore they decided to let the fans now spin with 100% chance the moment the dGPU has any activity. This also means btw, that the fans now always spin if you turn on the XPS, this was also not the case pre 1.7.0. And also mostly when waking up from modern standby.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    idark77, pressing and custom90gt like this.
  8. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Feeling a bit bored are we? :D

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Papusan and custom90gt like this.
  9. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guess I got lucky to get a prebent XPS, heard the apple crowd like that sort of thing

Trader05 and custom90gt like this.
  10. maffle

Reputations:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-...-NVIDIA-GPU-issue-with-BIOS-1-7.393841.0.html (-:

- colors still broken on 4k display (option missing for color accuracy)
    - new fan issues (dGPU poll triggers fan for no reason and some more agressive/bugged fan curve)
    - S3 wont ever come back:

"our product team has decided to support the "Modern Standby" from Microsoft on this issue.
    They did suggest activating Hibernate instead" LOL!

- still DPC latency issues
    - more gratis coil whine

Trader05 likes this.