XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Guessing that was a while ago as I have found the process of installing Windows on a Mac quite painless last years? But before that it was a real PITA.

But still driver support is limited, like Touch ID support for Windows Hello

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @maffle I especially agree about the poor quality of the XPS15. Nice when delivered (at least on the outside) but just after a few months it feels worse than a MacBook Pro that is over five years old etc. It's just not durable and must say everytime I have to type on the now squeaky keyboard, wipe fingerprints etc I miss the MBP. Thinkpads should be great but have to say that I have had similar problems there also.

Should be noted that I have not used a new MBP the last 2-3 years for any longer periods but the design still feels quite the same. Know about keyboard problems but not about frequency compared to number of sold units, also, Apple customers seem to have higher expectations overall (not unreasonable considering the high prices)

maffle likes this.
  3. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Didn't know you had both the XPS and the X1E these days. Are you comparing 4K against 4K? If you had to pick just one of them, what would it be and why? Get the impression you prefer the XPS overall?

4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have a few MacBook Pros. Based on my experience with them, Apple seems to drop BootCamp support after say 4 years, although Apple seems to have entended support time a bit recently.

MacPros made before say Nov 2013 are no longer supported. MacBook Pros made before 2012 are no longer supported. After that point, installing BootCamp requires some research and trial-and-error to run which I find painful, to say the least. Often the required manual tweaks are not so complex but figuring out what needs to be done takes a lot of research and time.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

In the best of cases, the BootCamp is still a pain to set up and driver support is mediocre. This requires some IT skills and patience so the dream of setting up Windows on a Mac is not realistic for less-experienced users.

Once BootCamp is set up, I find it runs Windows pretty well IME. Apple has it pretty easy with drivers as they only have a handful of models. . .

5. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, detailed BootCamp discussions are probably better suited elsewhere but I have had no problems installing BootCamp/Windows on MBPs I've had. But they have then been quite new (still fully supported). Have no reason to doubt that you are correct for older not supported models though, Apple isn't exactly known to be nostalgic :)

pressing likes this.
  6. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Couple of issues here. First of hwinfo reports a 10% loss of battery capacity. I just got it a week ago is this normal or was it sitting in the self for a long time

Today laptop was going to sleep at random. Once when i was installing a game, and then when it was launching and already loading the intro. Is this the sleep issue you guys keep mentioning

Furthermore whats a reliable software to get a graph of fan use thermals and cpu/gpu usage to generate a report so i can compare if results are normal or whether i will need to perform some undervolting/throttlestop tweaking

7. pilililo2

pilililo2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have to add a little bit to this pro/con stuff:

The s3/deep sleep problem only occurs in windows. You can set deep-sleep in Linux with 1 command and it will work beautifully well. However, s3 comes as default, that's true.
    The killer wireless card works perfectly fine for normal usage, however monitor mode / promiscuous mode is completely broken and cant be used.
    The rubbery material seems to be a sticker, because in my unit it is very slightly misaligned on the left, and If I tried I could even lift it up. Bad QC and a fingerprint magnet.
    Webcam is trash due to its placement.
    Undervolts great.
    Can get stupid ammounts of battery life, even more if propperly tunned in linux. (+16h)
    Keyboard is accetable, touchpad is great.
    My FHD is great. Really bright and color accurate. Just a tiny bit of ghosting.
    Coil whine is not horrible, but certainly more than I thought it would have.
    Speakers distort/resonate against the chasis at 60% or more volume in some situations.
    I got the Samsung PM981 SSD, which performs great, so lucky me. But the Toshiba one is just horrible.
    My unit runs pretty cool, however I noticed that under full load, the fans do more noise than produce airflow. The placement is just horrible and messes up the little airflow the could have.
    The BIOS takes just a few more seconds than my old pc, which I wasnt expecting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2019
    improwise and maffle like this.
  8. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    custom90gt likes this.
  10. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Didnt Dave2D say in hus latest video that there was no news of xps15 in this years ces?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk