XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. pilililo2

pilililo2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is not always true, at least I wouldn't consider all types of measurements just as "estimates. There are indeed measurements that need to be considered estimates. However, measuring the battery voltage and current while on battery is easy and that indicates the Wattage perfectly, such as Powertop or TLP does. Measuring while plugged in is a tad more complex, but still achievable.

2. CryoBolt

CryoBolt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have been using it for few days and no bizarre fan behavior, so i don't know what it was. All the senors seems to be reading just fine. I just wont bother running Furmark.

On another note, I ran prime 95 and I noticed that even core temps are close and odd core temps are close but the difference between even and odd was about 5 degrees C or so. Clock speeds were about 2.6 at all cores. I don't know what that means. I was an idiot and did not look what it was before I repasted, so I really don't have a reference. Under low to modest load though, everything seems to be normal. Nothing out of the ordinary.

3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is rather high. A repaste might help

If your heatsink is bent you can try to straighten it I suppose. But this is uber delicate and a few guys here have broken them. Do a search. That said, it seems the 9570 has an improved heatsink based on posts here so is less likely to be the issue.

4. CryoBolt

CryoBolt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I might do a repaste. I don't think it is bad enough to mess with the heatsink.

5. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So, same question as before, with all faults and problems with this machine, do we have a better alternative or is this as good as it gets for a powerful 15" laptop mostly for productivity? Only real alternative I can think of is the ThinkPad X1 Extreme/P1 but from what Ive seen, it to has its share of problems.

Personally, I've always had a good eye for the MacBook Pro, which is still consider to be the best built laptop there is (although with its own share of problems). It just have a premium feeling that I have not seen anywhere else. And that is coming for someone having bought each new version of the XPS15 for three years in row. If Apple had had better drivers for Windows...

All in all, I have myself not found a better overall alternative than the XPS15 we are all complaining about :D

pressing likes this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I cobbled together W10 via BootCamp on an older MacBook Pro. It works fine but took 100+ hours to get installed and sorted. Not doing that again.

For sure, Apple markets W10 support. In practice, it is not so good. And Apple drops official W10 support after say 3-4 years years. After that, it takes a lot of time and effort trying to get around Apple's obsolescence schemes.

Virtual machines may be a better option. But they have their challenges as well . . .

7. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Since we are discussuing this. Can someone list all the major issues the 9570 is facing. Like the BIOS updates, overheating-throttling etc

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

8. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    there is too many to not fit a A4 sheet of paper

9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'll disagree with eucalyptus. There are a few issues with the XPS just like there are a few issues with the X1 Extreme, Mac Book Pro, etc...

My major issues with the system:
    GPU bug where it doesn't run at full power until it reaches a certain temp
    Bios issue where it throttles way too early at 74C
    S3 sleep issue where it doesn't sleep properly and relies on modern standby
    Latency issues - doesn't bother me but some people can't edit audio with the XPS

That's what comes to my mind
    My major Pros of the XPS:
    Awesome screen - much much much better than my X1 Extreme
    Great touchpad - I like it better than Apple's
    Awesome size - a 15.6" screen in a 14" package, smaller and thinner than my X1 Extreme
    Good hardware - sure it throttles but at least it runs pretty darn good

These Dell "engineers" keep promising me that the new bios will fix "all of the GPU issues" so we will see what happens.

Woodking, splus, improwise and 2 others like this.
  10. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Addition to what custom90gt said:

- Coil whine
    - Bad/cheap keyboard, broken feeling while typing, squeaky noises on lots of keys especially space bar
    - bad Killer wifi card
    - mostly bad pasting job and have to repaste + undervolt of the "hot" 8750h
    - some kind of regression (with 4k only?) under Windows slowing done over time, maybe latency related
    - back bleed and dead pixel reports + yellow tint backlight reports than above normal, less backbleed on 4k but still present
    - 4k display has really bad response timings and ghostings, color accuracy bugged since bios 1.6.0
    - Slow bios boot, no possibilities to tweak anything in bios compared to other laptops
    - Dells lazy driver update policy, Realtek/Intel SST driver are broken in several ways and buggy, and months behind, other OEMSs have way newer Realtek drivers
    - annoying fan curve and buggy behavior (1 second spins), fan driver is closed under Windows no way to modify it
    - cheap/bad SSD if youre unlucky (Toshiba)
    - not plane/centered touchpad
    - bottom camera is useless
    - usb dont turn off during modern standy / bluetooth => mouse wakes up laptop, no option in bios to have usb powered off during sleep
    - 4k glass front is loose in the top middle when you tap against it there is a gap
    - TB16 dock is terrible and a joke for the price
    - rubbery "fingerprint magnet material" on the top, wont last long as I see it
    - fans are total failure there is no real change/addition in air flow if running 30% 50% or 100%, they just get louder, not cooling better
    - badly programmed EC, the fans kick in for example if the PCH reaches above 50°C and then run, even there is no air flow happening reaching the PCH, same for the SSD temperature

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Papusan, Woodking and improwise like this.