XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That doesnt sound very "encouraging", of what Dell did with the last bios updates, or the incompetent company, who makes these bioses for Dell. Hopefully they dont implement some cheese workaround or make it worse... It would be really funny if the change then brings in something new, for example, undervolt not working anymore, or it clocks too high 100% and fans boost all the time. And still nothing about the latency issues, or the standby problems.

2. pilililo2

pilililo2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Took me a while to set it up too. Check out nvidia-xrun-pm. This package completely turns off the card at boot, and only turns it on when executing nvidia-xrun from a free tty. This way powertop measures about 4.1W consumption idle. It's the only way (not the most convenient though) to set up this laptop such that it get its maximum battery life when you don't need the dGPU, but still being able to 'easily' use it whenever you want to play a game or something.

Just FYI, powertop is very nice for measuring consumptions, but TLP is better for tweaking power-saving settings even if it's just a tad more complex to set up.

Cheers!

lefti696 likes this.
  3. CryoBolt

CryoBolt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, my CPU fan is stuck at 100%. Anyone have any ideas?

4. maffle

Reputations:
    Check with HwInfo all temps, clock speeds, fan speed.

5. CryoBolt

Reputations:

I need to correct myself. It is the right fan, which turns out to be the Video card fan. ( I determine this by unplugging it and running the diagnosis).

But as write this now, the fan is not causing any problems.

6. maffle

Reputations:
    @CryoBolt then find out whats keeping the dGPU active because if it is active the fan will spin 100% regardless of the temperature, praise Dells awesome fan logic.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  7. CryoBolt

Reputations:
    Do you think if the video fan is at 100%, that HwInfo should show the dGPU as active?

Edit: I restarted about 4 times and it has been behaving, but I can't imagine pulling the plug on the fan and resetting it would have done anything.

8. maffle

Reputations:
    @CryoBolt Thats why I asked to check HwInfo and look at all temps including GPU (if it is active and has a non 0 MHz clock). Did you power it off for a longer time? Any bios update you did in the past days? You sure you put it in again correctly?

9. wintermute000

wintermute000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Go to Dell Power Manager and toggle quiet mode. You can flip it back to optimised (a.k.a. normal/default) after that.
    Mine doesn't get stuck on 100% per se, however, sometimes after say a gaming session the fans won't fully4 spin down even when the temps drop back below 50 degrees, toggling it in Dell Power Manager works every time. Its kind of ridiculous

If you don't have the app then just DL it from the window store (yes the store, its not a installable exe)

10. luke1333

luke1333 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Whats everybody's ram usage at idle?