XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would first suggest you to uninstall the killer control software and install the driver-only version.
    If you are still not satisfied, buy 9260.

2. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Intel 9260 now ordered and will go in the moment it arrives along with some real thermal paste and perhaps some pads. Not wasting any more time on the Killer crap although it seems to work for some but not taking any more chances.

3. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  4. Peter DNA

Peter DNA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had this setup on my 9560 and now on 9570 as well. I also up the game this time and got myself Alienware aw3418DW which is connected to the dock. It's rock solid so far.

So far re-pasting it with proper paste and few pads here and there helped out with thermals.

I have i7 Version
    16GB Ram
    1TB 970 Samsung PRO
    4K Touch Screen

I had some weird hickups with video initially which made me fresh install twice my Windows OS from scratch. My screen would freeze and simply not react to anything unless I put the laptop to sleep and then woke it up. That was annoying to say the least.

So far I don't see too much of a difference in terms of performance except of course TB3 is now 4 Lanes and supports proper eGPU cases which I wanted to have.

-Peter

Tsunpl and pressing like this.
  5. el3ctronics

el3ctronics Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I use the 9570 with the TB16 dock and it works flawlessly. The only issue I had with this machine is the Killer wifi is a joke. Short range, wouldn't connect after standby, random disconnects, slow speeds etc. Replaced with the Intel 9260 and haven't had an issue in 48 hours since. Oh and Bluetooth 5.0 is a nice bonus that comes with it. Highly recommend this mod for anyone who has issues with their wifi.

Tsunpl likes this.
  6. vCanalla

vCanalla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I guess I've been lucky that, so far, the killer card has not been a problem.

Debating if I want to do a Microsoft fresh install (is that what the new feature is called?), but I guess I am also pretty lazy....

7. darshu

darshu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am looking for a 8750H workstation for oracle & product testing & photo work. I would take the XPS 15 (1080p) with integrated GFX if i could.

Are most of the heating issues a result of pushing the CPU and GFX at the same time like when playing games. Would a use case for pushing the CPU also result in thermal issues?

8. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Out-of-warranty repair are always expensive so I don't understand what you were expecting. I always get at lease a 3-year extended warranty when I get and expensive PC just in case. As for the repalacement parts you are right, they need to keep stock after a product has been released and they should have ofdered it during your first contact. I was talking about support during the warranty period as support is usually not used after that, unless you own a business and need to have the exact same machine running again.

9. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    Support continues for me also after the warranty period that they are forced to offer or that I paid for.

1k+ for replacing a display is a joke. And having to fight with them for days just to even get a replacement is even more joke. Before mentioning that they are forced by law to have replacement parts at stock for more then 1 year they would just wink me off and tell me to buy a new laptop. Kind of like "its your own fault you bought a dell and its display died after 1year. Now **** off and buy a new dell".

10. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Not using the dedicated GPU will result in more thermal headroom but will likely still throttle without an undervolt and a repaste.

I would say look into the Precision 5530 because there are lots more options, but the price is more than the equivalent 9570, although you get a business class GPU vs the consumer 1050 ti.