XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. CryoBolt

CryoBolt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Question for you all. I am still running BIOS 1.2.2. I know there are Intel security updates in the new ones, but I been hesitant to install any new ones due to the lack of S3 sleep support and just overall issues. Everything seems to be working well enough, no serious usability issues. There are some weird quirks with TB16 dock (like can not use my external mouse and keyboard while my Brother scanner is scanning). I guess my question is, should I ever update?

Also, has anyone had issues where the left fan rattles? I called and having a tech come replace it. They wanted to go through the whole dog and pony show of updating software and firmware, but I kinda complained hard enough to skip right through it to the replacement.

2. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @CryoBolt The question doesnt make much sense to answer. You have to decide if you want to use broken S3 (bugged CPU) with your XPS. The security updates are no reason to update, you get the MC anyway forced by Windows and I have deactivated Specter and Meltdown mitigations. The Intel ME flaws are also not really relevant to you I guess. Fans can randomly start to begin to rattle, yes, I have seens reports on it before. It is just part of the cheap materials Dell uses on their "premium laptops".

3. Endbringer

Endbringer Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks @maffle will wait for a better laptop then

4. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just got it today. It just doesnt fit by 2cm in my slim messenger bag. Since i'm moving around a lot, i need something light and slim to easily carry it around

Of course no backpacks and bulky messenger bags. Somethings that fits as tight as possible

5. pilililo2

pilililo2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Finally got my hands on my XPS 9570! Updated to the 1.6 BIOS without any problem and updated the rest of the software with dell updates, however I went ahead and installed Manjaro Linux as that is what I mostly use. I only use windows for some ocasional gaming.

I was lucky and got the PM981 Samsung NVMe drive, which is pretty fast (results attatched).

CB score was 1236 at score, 1251 undervolted, and 1266 with a little bit of higher power limits. No thermal throttling and didn't repaste.

Battery is amazing with the dGPU disabled on linux, getting more than 17 hours of life with the dGPU turned off and screen at 60% brightness (it's a really bright screen).

Any questions are welcome!

Attached Files:

6. CryoBolt

CryoBolt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I see what you mean. I actually don't have forced S3 sleep and been using the default setting. It is usually shutdown when I am transporting it between home and the office. I think my core concern is that updating my BIOS is just going to introduce a problem or two. Some of the user reports of Dell's update does not fill me with confidence. When Windows hangs or something, I wonder if it is Dell, Windows, or a driver issue.

7. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Guys i just got it ywsterday and im so exvited. Please tell me what to do first? Shoukd i update bios to latest and perform all windows updates up to 1809 ( now its pro 1803)

Also can i enable hardwqre level encryption on the m2 ssd and windows bitlocker

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

8. idark77

idark77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @therock003 I suggest to do a clean installation of Windows. I know that a lot of people with 4K display had color saturation with 1.6,0 Bios version so they still use 1.5.0. No issue with FHD display and 1.6.0 version.

@pilililo2 I think that you have the new version of MB with 4 VRMs instead of 3. The new MB version is 0D0T05, I also have this version.

therock003 likes this.
  9. therock003

therock003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I got the FHD variant so go with 1.6? Why the clean installation?

Got a 1809 image from the net, Will the win existing key be erased by formating and installing this new image

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

10. idark77

idark77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Your Windows 10 Product key is embedded in the ACPI table of your system so you don’t need to insert any key. Download Windows 10 1809 from Microsoft and prepare a USB flash drive. After you can download the drivers from Dell website or use the Dell Command Update app.

therock003 likes this.